Icelandic Chickens

Our small hatch of 6 Icelandics is doing well and growing feathers already. I was wondering if anyone has noticed any of their Icelandic chicks making a trill ? My wife said that one had made a funny sound yesterday morning and then when I came in from the shop at lunch I checked on them and actually saw the blond one make the trill. Not sure if any others do it yet or if this one is even more unique than the typical Icelandic.
I find my Icelandic chicks are vocal in different ways than the other breeds I've raised. Cockerels mature much more quickly and pullets "talk" as they go about the yard. I think the sound you heard is a cockerel "calling" the others, most likely to alert them that something has changed (you or your wife entering the room).
I know I may be biased, but, I think the Icelandics just aren't like other chickens in many ways. They seem to have a way of communicating that is uncanny. I've read that chickens don't have much of a memory but my flock definitely remembers things....like when I bring a cardboard box into the coop to remove someone (last time was last night and the time before was Sept of last year). Audun started with an alert noise and the hens picked it up. They know someone has been "gotten" in the past when the box appeared and know it is a sign of "danger". I bring things through their end of the barn all the time and they don't worry about it but they know the box means something.....also the large fishing net I use to catch young cockerels always causes the danger signal alert. The chicks out the yard with their moms will freeze solid when the alert call is given and stay that way until "released" by their mom or will scatter if she "tells" them to. They aren't your typical pet chicken......and that is why we love them so much......even when they roost on houses and tractors, or nest in shavings bags, or insist on creeping into the other side of the barn to eat the cats' food, or escape at every opportunity......Life is better with Icelandics!!

I think Eldur is crowing to find out if Audun came also. Then throwing down the gauntlet to see if there are any challengers. Hail King Eldur, long may you reign.

I probably shouldn't have but I ordered more hatching eggs. I had such good luck with the other batch I figured "what the hay" give it another try. I should get them next week and hopefully ill have the same luck. BTW I will re-home any extra roosters and a few hens once I get the flock established. I will gladly ship them to anyone on this forum for the cost of the box and shipping, but that will be a ways down the road.

Could be an early crow. I've had chicks crow as young as four days old and it is a trill of sorts, sounds sort of like "buh-REEEET". Keep track of that blonde one and let us know if it turns out to be a cockerel.
Thank you for the tip and though I can't recall the exact sound we will be watching that one close to see if he turns out to be a roo. That one has green legs , yellow toenails and what looks like a pea or rose comb so it would make a dandy roo.

I find my Icelandic chicks are vocal in different ways than the other breeds I've raised. Cockerels mature much more quickly and pullets "talk" as they go about the yard. I think the sound you heard is a cockerel "calling" the others, most likely to alert them that something has changed (you or your wife entering the room).
I know I may be biased, but, I think the Icelandics just aren't like other chickens in many ways. They seem to have a way of communicating that is uncanny. I've read that chickens don't have much of a memory but my flock definitely remembers things....like when I bring a cardboard box into the coop to remove someone (last time was last night and the time before was Sept of last year). Audun started with an alert noise and the hens picked it up. They know someone has been "gotten" in the past when the box appeared and know it is a sign of "danger". I bring things through their end of the barn all the time and they don't worry about it but they know the box means something.....also the large fishing net I use to catch young cockerels always causes the danger signal alert. The chicks out the yard with their moms will freeze solid when the alert call is given and stay that way until "released" by their mom or will scatter if she "tells" them to. They aren't your typical pet chicken......and that is why we love them so much......even when they roost on houses and tractors, or nest in shavings bags, or insist on creeping into the other side of the barn to eat the cats' food, or escape at every opportunity......Life is better with Icelandics!!
Than you for your thoughts and comments NotAFarm . We look forward to learning the quirks of these birds as they grow and develop. We have a clutch of Delaware hatched just a day or so before the Icelandics and we have also noticed some differences. Aside from the trill the Icelandics started feathering out a bit earlier and man are they fast. When you open the coop door and peck near the food pan they are Johnny on the spot to check you out.Can't wait to see what happens next.

I hope everyone got the good weather we did today, spent the afternoon picking corn the neighbors combine couldn't reach for a winter treat. Can't beat a free tub of feed

we did get beautiful weather yesterday high of 77 third highest HIGH for that day, in our weather history ( big deal) today is not like that - very windy and raw - feh!

The fall weather has been beautiful this past week, couldn't ask for better!

Landon, Has Eldur settled in? Have you gotten any eggs yet?

I took a few pics this evening.

Here is Gola in the rafters with her singleton...

Chick before ducking for cover under momma...
fl.gif
hoping for a blue pullet.....

and Goa's chick......thinking maybe not a pullet.....
roll.png
.....but am glad to have a rose comb cockerel!

Last edited:
Mary, the girls started laying Monday and surprised us with the size! Their eggs are the same size as our Orpingtons! Eldur seems to have settled into his head honcho role. We let them out for some supervised free range time and he was calling Gaela and Glima over for every tasty thing he found, he's definitely a gentleman.

Good to hear the hens are earning their keep!!
thumbsup.gif
Eldur had a great teacher so should be nothing but great for your flock!!

Back
Top Bottom