Icelandic Chickens

well you found out that Joka is a good mama.
thumbsup.gif

well you found out that Joka is a good mama.
thumbsup.gif
frow.gif
Hi, Diva!! Yes, she is a great momma! I'm anxious to let her outside with the chicks, now that they are a week old, but the wind today would have blown them into the next county!! I have another broody, Gula. She is sitting on 6 buff orp eggs and 2 Icelandic eggs, since Thursday evening. The orp eggs belong to my chicken buddy that does chores for me when I am gone. She wants to hatch some eggs from her flock but none of her hens have gone broody. I volunteered Gula. If any of the orps hatch, my friend will take them and raise them in a brooder.....
roll.png
.....she say broody raised chicks are "too wild". That is why I gave Gula 2 Icelandic eggs, so she'll have something to raise when the other chicks are gone.

Got some not so good pictures last night of the two broody hens.
Heppni and her chicks (total of five, three blonde and two dark):

Jóka and the one chick that wasn't hiding....

One of the chicks I reached in and grabbed so my friend could see one "up close". It was NOT happy....neither was momma!

Adorable! I need a broody soon.

Heppni and her chicks got to spend part of the afternoon outside in the chicken tractor. The temp was 73F but it was very windy!
She is looking up and jumping to get the bugs crawling on the underside of the roof.

Audun and a couple hens visiting the tractor

They are getting big already!

I have 10 eggs in the incubator (candling for the first time tonight after work!!!) and my wife is making fun of my "Viking" chickens. I told her to be careful because I'm going to make them helmets and little battle axes. They will rule the roost, literally!

Hopefully the eggs will be showing some development. I guess it's always kind of dicey after shipping.

I am following and trying to fit in… plus reading the backposts in my odds and end time. My chicks are coming the week of the 18th and starting to get ready for them to arrive. Plus I am enjoying my current flock of four. I am doing some infrastructure improvements and chicken things in general. I love the photos NAF shared and anything else I can find Icee related. So nope you did not kill the thread Ms. Diva.

Best to all and your flocks,

RJ

I have 10 eggs in the incubator (candling for the first time tonight after work!!!) and my wife is making fun of my "Viking" chickens. I told her to be careful because I'm going to make them helmets and little battle axes. They will rule the roost, literally!

Hopefully the eggs will be showing some development. I guess it's always kind of dicey after shipping.
I hope you see veining!

I am following and trying to fit in… plus reading the backposts in my odds and end time. My chicks are coming the week of the 18th and starting to get ready for them to arrive. Plus I am enjoying my current flock of four. I am doing some infrastructure improvements and chicken things in general. I love the photos NAF shared and anything else I can find Icee related. So nope you did not kill the thread Ms. Diva.

Best to all and your flocks,

RJ
If you have them coming the 18th, it's good you are getting ready.

Heppni and her chicks got to spend part of the afternoon outside in the chicken tractor. The temp was 73F but it was very windy!
She is looking up and jumping to get the bugs crawling on the underside of the roof.

Audun and a couple hens visiting the tractor

They are getting big already!

These were your Easter chicks? They grow too fast,

Back
Top Bottom