Icelandic Chickens

nice Icelander !!!!
you will have to tell us the estimated Chick cost you paid once they hatch.
The eggs have cleared USDA inspection and customs and have been dropped off at the farm that will be hatching them. Here is the magic stamp that all the fuss is about. Cannot tell you how happy I was to see this blob of ink hit the Health Certificate:

Mlmddh, I'd be happy to give you a spare roo if I have one, but I haven't the faintest clue how to get it to you.

Karimw, me too!

Greybear23, thanks but I have no thunder on this forum as I sometimes make controversial posts. I'm just keeping a few people updated regarding my importation. Speaking of unpopular posts, there is a big debate in Iceland whether leg feathering is part of the original genome, many of the old timers say it's a sign of mixing, some say the feathers on the outside of the upper part of the leg are OK, and others completely disagree and desire legfeathering and think it is beautiful and should be accepted.

Here is the webpage of one of the old timers that had one of the foundation flock from which Dr. Aðalsteinsson (who passed in 2009) collected eggs http://www.simnet.is/andres/haenur.htm and he says: "Íslenskar hænur eru hvorki með fiðraða fætur eða vangaskegg en ég vil benda á að dverghænur sem lengi hafa verið til víða um land og blandast íslenskum hænum mjög auðveldlega eru mjög gjarnan með þannig fiðurlag og sömuleiðis með mjög fjölbreyttar kambgerðir." or loosely translated "Icelandic chickens have neither feathered feet or beards, but I want to point out that dwarf hens which have long existed throughout the country and mix with domestic poultry very easily very often have this feathering, as well as a very diverse combs."
As you can tell from the pictures on the site, the breed used to be very dark. This man provided 104 eggs to Dr. Aðalsteinsson, or 28% of all collected eggs, and 48 hatchlings, or 60% of the hatchlings collected by Dr. Aðalsteinsson. Just wanted to toss this in here in case somebody found this interesting.

Here are two photos of the foundation flock I got my import from. They are in isolation while the eggs are being collected so excuse the mess and poop has to be allowed to build up for the salmonella test. The flock is 10 hens and 2 roos (one red and one cream).

These pictures don't do the birds justice, they are totally gorgeous and from a very pure and well managed flock. Here they've been cooped up for 2 weeks or more due to the import regulations.

Thanks to everyone that gave me moral support in this endeavour. Please keep your fingers crossed for me and pray for a good hatch!!

Mlmddh, I'd be happy to give you a spare roo if I have one, but I haven't the faintest clue how to get it to you.

Ah, that's no issue, my dad was born and raised in Naselle! Lot's of family there.

Speaking of unpopular posts, there is a big debate in Iceland whether leg feathering is part of the original genome, many of the old timers say it's a sign of mixing, some say the feathers on the outside of the upper part of the leg are OK, and others completely disagree and desire legfeathering and think it is beautiful and should be accepted.

My one cockerel with the feathering is quite heavily feathered down the outside of the shank. The feet are clean. He is quite different and definitely one I will keep to see how he matures.

Good luck with your hatch, I know that importing animals (from my involvement in the dart frog hobby) is a major undertaking.

Deb

Way to go, Icelander! You can believe that I'm rooting for you and your little ones.
clap.gif

I know when the market fell out of the Reas and Emus here in Oklahoma, there were a lot of the turned loose and farmers reporting seeing them in their pastures, My sister and BIL had a 50 young one the basicly sold for dog food misus the fat and hides when they went out of business, they lost a lot of money one them!!! Lynn

Back
Top Bottom