Icelandic Chickens

I call it mottled. Her mother, Anna, is the only mottled Icelandic I had before Elska was hatched. Elska's father is a half-brother to her..... you need two mottled genes for a mottled bird. I was hatchiing as many eggs from Anna and Asta (crossed w/ my rooster Ari, then Audun, that I also got from The Sheriff, Mary) as I could but it seems that neither Ari or Audun carry the mottled gene. When Anna went broody and then had a brood of chicks, a young cockerel, hatched by my surrogate broody Silver Laced Wyandotte, started to stay out with her and the chicks. When the chicks were weaned and Anna started back laying, it was this young cockerel she spent all her time with. Elska is the result of that mating. I believe based on the fact that Elska is mottled, that he is the son of Anna and Ari. I wasn't keeping eggs since it was getting near the end of the summer but a SLW went broody and I had a couple marked eggs that I put under her. Now I wish I had saved them all but hind sight is always 20/20. He is in another home now so Elska is a one-of-a-kind.

This is Elska's father......A.J.....(on the left of Kella)...he is.now living with a family 19 miles north of me.....they have Icelandic sheep too......

Here he is "helping" Anna with the chicks while free ranging........

Wow your birds are gorgeous. I LOVE A.J.
And Elska is a perfect name for such a lovely bird like her!

Elska
love.gif
droolin.gif
love.gif

Our high today was 86 and it was welcomed by man and beast alike.

Audun supervising while the pullets and hens get their morning scratch.......

Elska showing-off...........

Agghhhh.........just noticed that the grass needs to be mowed in the chicken yard...........:/

OMGoodnessGracious! These two are just beautiful!!
I can't wait to see those chicks....

Our high today was 86 and it was welcomed by man and beast alike.

Audun supervising while the pullets and hens get their morning scratch.......

Elska showing-off...........

Agghhhh.........just noticed that the grass needs to be mowed in the chicken yard...........
hmm.png

Gorgeous couple!!!!!

Hi guys,

My Icelandic group from Sheriff Mary is 12 weeks old today. I took some pictures last night, but they didn't turn out great. Some setting is off on my camera and I haven't figured out which it is. Now, all my photos are over-exposed. Regardless, I wanted to show off my babies. I can't believe that the boys are already trying to make more! They are mounting my older hens. Crazy virile birds!

Thank you on Elska's behalf for all the compliments to her.

Guess what she is up to today?

Hints........
  • she's an Icelandic
  • she started back laying three weeks ago, after raising a couple of poults

Gettin' broody??

Hi guys,

My Icelandic group from Sheriff Mary is 12 weeks old today. I took some pictures last night, but they didn't turn out great. Some setting is off on my camera and I haven't figured out which it is. Now, all my photos are over-exposed. Regardless, I wanted to show off my babies. I can't believe that the boys are already trying to make more! They are mounting my older hens. Crazy virile birds!

You have beautiful birds! I really like this guy.

How many do you have?

Back
Top Bottom