ID bracelets of sorts

I get a big package of 100 assorted color and size zip ties at the Dollar Tree. They have four colors, I think, and there is a little tiny size in the can that works good for chicks. We use color-coded ones to know what bird hatched when, so we know how old each one is.

Quote:
Chickgirl6 -- how old are your birds? I have been looking for something for mine for awhile. I checked out cutlersupply and Im not sure what size to order!!!

When I need to identify them for a short period of time, I use Halloween-type temporary hair color by spraying it onto a Q-tip and then dabbing a dot on the bird. I have 4 different colors. It's worked well so far. The only issue is that when they're babies, it wears off as they lose their baby "fur", so you have to re-apply occasionaly.

Works great! Zip ties are fine too, but I just think they'd be irritating (but that's just me projecting onto the chickens!).

I use these:

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/bands.html

small for chicks
med for older chicks
10 mm - 18 mm for older birds

the 18 does fit on some Geese, lots of colors and if you buy only bands it a $3 shipping charge no matter how many you buy. the best part is they can be removed if you need to. you can use a sharpie to write numbers on them.
I've used zip ties to. but if you need to ID every bird its hard to do, and if your birds grows to big they can cause damage to the leg

Last edited:
I don't know what a PR is (penciled Rock?), but are they light enough for food coloring? Just a splotch between the wings, and they're marked for months!

nuttyredhead- My EEs are 16 weeks and my marans range from 6 weeks to 14 weeks old and the size 12 fits them all, its a little big on the 6 week olds but it stays on and I won't have to change them cus they grow in to them.

If you only have 4 similar looking birds, you could still band with the same color band.

Bird 1: right leg banded
Bird 2: left leg banded
Bird 3: both legs banded
Bird 4: no legs banded

Just an idea
smile.png

I have started using zip ties on the babies.....lots of colors....I just don't start banding until they are at least 5 or 6 weeks old, for my own sanity LOL.

Back
Top Bottom