I'd love to have a hatching buddy?

Question....

I now have a dozen eggs, assorted...a few aracaunas, several marans, and several mixed breeds. That's on top of the six that are already under her. She's an enormous hen and when I put them all in the nesting box she covered them all, but should I take a few out anyways? It seems like sooo many eggs!

Question....

I now have a dozen eggs, assorted...a few aracaunas, several marans, and several mixed breeds. That's on top of the six that are already under her. She's an enormous hen and when I put them all in the nesting box she covered them all, but should I take a few out anyways? It seems like sooo many eggs!

A dozen for one hen seems like a lot. Is this her first time going Brody? Do you have an incubator? Gosh, I don't know. I'm sure others do it all the time. I'd hate for some of them to not stay as warm as they should.

Thoughts?

I have one left under my hen that should be hatching anyway. Secretly, I'm freaking out because I lost the last one. I made my husband open it because I didn't have the guts to do it myself.

The 12 in the incubator are all on day 3, 4 and 5. Some are pullet eggs, which I was afraid to try, but they're fertile!

Last edited:
I've had a SILKIE sit on 17 eggs and have a wonderful hatch. If she's covering them they should be fine. Hens can cover an amazing amount of eggs if they really want to. Good luck with your hatch!

I've had a SILKIE sit on 17 eggs and have a wonderful hatch. If she's covering them they should be fine. Hens can cover an amazing amount of eggs if they really want to. Good luck with your hatch!

Your Silky is an awesome momma! That's fantastic! I'd say go for it then! Let her sit on them all.

A dozen for one hen seems like a lot. Is this her first time going Brody? Do you have an incubator? Gosh, I don't know. I'm sure others do it all the time. I'd hate for some of them to not stay as warm as they should.

Thoughts?

I have one left under my hen that should be hatching anyway. Secretly, I'm freaking out because I lost the last one. I made my husband open it because I didn't have the guts to do it myself.

The 12 in the incubator are all on day 3, 4 and 5. Some are pullet eggs, which I was afraid to try, but they're fertile!

She doesn't just have the twelve, she has 18!! I put them under her just to see how many I would need to take out, and she did the funniest thing. She carefully tucked them under her, and then, I don't even know how to describe it, but she kinda shuddered and puffed up? She looked like she was a Pokemon that was leveling up or something. Lol. I swear she doubled in size. And then she kinda shook a little and deflated, and when she deflated not a single egg was poking out. It was so funny.

I don't have an incubator, and she's a first timer. Then again, I'm a first timer too! I guess I figured if she didn't continue to cover them well, then I could just take some out. Who knows, one of my cochins seems interested too and might start to brood as well, and then I could give her some to try. I really just don't know what I'm doing so I'm improvising. Ha! Just wingin it!

Back
Top Bottom