September hatch-a-long?

I'm setting my last batch of eggs for the season this Friday and was wondering if anyone else was feeling hatch happy.
I miss it already! There's just something about taking care of baby chicks that's addicting.

I had set my last batch a month ago. I'll start back up in February or March. We're in Wisconsin so we can't really put any chicks outside without heat until around July. Most of us have indoor brooders for that reason but still, it's nice when they get a few weeks old that you can put them outside, if even for a little while.

I miss it already! There's just something about taking care of baby chicks that's addicting.

I had set my last batch a month ago. I'll start back up in February or March. We're in Wisconsin so we can't really put any chicks outside without heat until around July. Most of us have indoor brooders for that reason but still, it's nice when they get a few weeks old that you can put them outside, if even for a little while.
I'm not much of a chicks indoor kinda person, lol... this is probably going to come out completely wrong but I don't really like raising chicks I n the sense most people do, they are messy, smelly, and an overall pain, but love them all at the same time, lol. I love seeing them grow and go through their ugly stage, but the inside thing just isn't for me. I get where your coming from it's much colder up there (I live in Texas and Feb is usually when we get our messed up freezes) so I hatch them, keep them inside for 3ish days so I know everyone is eating, drinking, and flourishing, then outside they go to the grow out area. I enjoy them much more out there 😉

I'm not much of a chicks indoor kinda person, lol... this is probably going to come out completely wrong but I don't really like raising chicks I n the sense most people do, they are messy, smelly, and an overall pain, but love them all at the same time, lol. I love seeing them grow and go through their ugly stage, but the inside thing just isn't for me. I get where your coming from it's much colder up there (I live in Texas and Feb is usually when we get our messed up freezes) so I hatch them, keep them inside for 3ish days so I know everyone is eating, drinking, and flourishing, then outside they go to the grow out area. I enjoy them much more out there 😉
I made hubby build me a piece of furniture, aka brooder, that's in our living room. It doesn't stink because we use horse bedding pellets. I never in a billion years would have guessed I'd be having chickens in my house either and used to snicker at those who had "house chickens," but here we are!

Attachments

• Stella guarding.jpg
    Stella guarding.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Brooder 6.jpg
    Brooder 6.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 5
I made hubby build me a piece of furniture, aka brooder, that's in our living room. It doesn't stink because we use horse bedding pellets. I never in a billion years would have guessed I'd be having chickens in my house either and used to snicker at those who had "house chickens," but here we are!
Very nice! I just can't do it, lol, I had hubby do something similar but outside, makes integration a breeze (also serves as a hospital suite, or breeding pen) we all have our way

Attachments

• 20230513_181930.jpg
    20230513_181930.jpg
    991.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230513_181325.jpg
    20230513_181325.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230513_173942.jpg
    20230513_173942.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 5
I've got 13 in the bator for 4 days now. They're all I have left after someone in the neighborhood decided to let their dogs run loose. Candled them last night and they all seem to be developing.
I can't even deal with people like that! I'm sorry! I've got 25 in the incubator that I set today. Good vibes for a good hatch❤️

I let my new Phoenix hen brood her eggs although I kept it at 4 eggs since this will be my first time and hers. Candled the eggs today and they are ready to pip probably will have babies tomorrow or next day.

This should be interesting of how my flock will react to them.

Back
Top Bottom