Idaho?

GOOD MORNING ALL
caf.gif

Looking for some confirmation on 2 Orpingtons I purchased @ chicken stock, our first experience with the breed.

The birds are approx 4 months old. NO sign of spurs but based on behavior and overall appearance, I'm pretty sure I have a blue pullet and a black cockerel. I've been suspicious ever since they were chicks, just recently noticed how developed the black's head is when compared to his friend. I realize the black is HUGE but I wasn't sure what the size range is for Orpingtons. I have 2 Sexlink hens that are on opposite sides of the size spectrum. I believe the pics show a difference in feather structure as well? (don't really notice it as they move around, lol)
According to the Standards of Perfection, the comb on the black is the wrong type - yes?

The golden campine cockerel we came home with (same age) has been crowing for over a month (and re-homed, what a noisy bugger). A speckled sussex we THOUGHT was a pullet just blossomed into a cockerel this past couple of weeks (also same age, NO crowing).

Now, the only cockerel we have that sounds & acts like one, is a 4 month old bantam cochin. You can actually see the 3 cockerels in the first picture, didn't realize till just now.

If I am correct, then our lil bantam is struttin around as alpha
lau.gif

GOOD MORNING ALL :caf Looking for some confirmation on 2 Orpingtons I purchased @ chicken stock, our first experience with the breed. The birds are approx 4 months old. NO sign of spurs but based on behavior and overall appearance, I'm pretty sure I have a blue pullet and a black cockerel. I've been suspicious ever since they were chicks, just recently noticed how developed the black's head is when compared to his friend. I realize the black is HUGE but I wasn't sure what the size range is for Orpingtons. I have 2 Sexlink hens that are on opposite sides of the size spectrum. I believe the pics show a difference in feather structure as well? (don't really notice it as they move around, lol) According to the Standards of Perfection, the comb on the black is the wrong type - yes? The golden campine cockerel we came home with (same age) has been crowing for over a month (and re-homed, what a noisy bugger). A speckled sussex we THOUGHT was a pullet just blossomed into a cockerel this past couple of weeks (also same age, NO crowing). Now, the only cockerel we have that sounds & acts like one, is a 4 month old bantam cochin. You can actually see the 3 cockerels in the first picture, didn't realize till just now. If I am correct, then our lil bantam is struttin around as alpha :lau .
Your black one looks to have quite a few pointy saddle feathers, that is the "seal the deal" evidence from what I could see! The blue does look like a pretty pullet. Pretty birds! Such a bummer so many boys came out of the chicks though :( That roo looks like he will be a big boy for sure!

GOOD MORNING ALL
caf.gif

Looking for some confirmation on 2 Orpingtons I purchased @ chicken stock, our first experience with the breed.

The birds are approx 4 months old. NO sign of spurs but based on behavior and overall appearance, I'm pretty sure I have a blue pullet and a black cockerel. I've been suspicious ever since they were chicks, just recently noticed how developed the black's head is when compared to his friend. I realize the black is HUGE but I wasn't sure what the size range is for Orpingtons. I have 2 Sexlink hens that are on opposite sides of the size spectrum. I believe the pics show a difference in feather structure as well? (don't really notice it as they move around, lol)
According to the Standards of Perfection, the comb on the black is the wrong type - yes?

The golden campine cockerel we came home with (same age) has been crowing for over a month (and re-homed, what a noisy bugger). A speckled sussex we THOUGHT was a pullet just blossomed into a cockerel this past couple of weeks (also same age, NO crowing).

Now, the only cockerel we have that sounds & acts like one, is a 4 month old bantam cochin. You can actually see the 3 cockerels in the first picture, didn't realize till just now.

If I am correct, then our lil bantam is struttin around as alpha
lau.gif

Yes, the black cockeral has the wrong type of comb or an orpington. Nice pullet, though. :)

Lisa, I think the two turkens I got from you are both hens now, hope they stay that way! LOL I think my pine cone (frizzle-sizzle) is maybe a hen too. They're sure hard to tell with all those curly feathers.

I have 2-1/2 week old quail chicks ready to sex in the next day or two if anyone is looking for coturnix quail chicks.

Our old footless rooster has taken it upon himself to be a duckling babysitter. He calls them and they come running. They can squeeze under the bottom rail of the pen he's in. Mama duck is very confused by this behavior. LOL

lau.gif
that's funny, and cute!!

MeandBOyz... The cockerel comb looks like a rosecomb, like on wyandottes, I know there are some lines in most breeds that have been crossed way back and from time to time you get chicks that pop up with characteristics of the cross... maybe that's what happened to the young roo... The pullet is pretty!!

Lisa, I think the two turkens I got from you are both hens now, hope they stay that way! LOL I think my pine cone (frizzle-sizzle) is maybe a hen too. They're sure hard to tell with all those curly feathers.

I have 2-1/2 week old quail chicks ready to sex in the next day or two if anyone is looking for coturnix quail chicks.

Hey!! I keep forgetting to write and ask you, did you end up with 2 pullets and a roo from those chicks, and what color egg are they laying?? My olive egger is laying a chocolate egg, lol and she has a pea comb and everything, my nice olive egg combs from a hen that has a straight comb, go figure...

Lisa, I think the two turkens I got from you are both hens now, hope they stay that way! LOL  I think my pine cone (frizzle-sizzle) is maybe a hen too. They're sure hard to tell with all those curly feathers.

3 for 3~?? :th

What are the odds! That is fantastic. My frizzle is a girl for sure, was hard to tell with the blackish comb but she has been nest surfing all week and is about ready to lay, she squatted for me this morning. So hopefully yours will follow suit. If you get an egg will you let me know what color you get? There were two moms--one was a very pretty blue egg laying Araucana, the other was an olive egger. Curious to see what you get :) I am really hoping for the blue egg.

My four quail females laid 5 eggs today. This has happened twice before. I cannot believe how big these eggs are, I got some from another guy to add some diversity in, but the eggs were so much smaller. About half the size. So instead what I am going to try and do, is label the eggs from the two "flocks", the Left flock and the Right flock, keep track of the chicks then put the female offspring on the opposite side (not with the daddy). I had a few deformed ones hatch with cross beak and one eyeball so I am wondering if I have a hen that is with her brother or something like that might be making one of my hens eggs hatch little monsters. It could have been too warm incubation too, the dang thing seems to spike alot. I have had three like that, out of maybe 60 babies hatched. So not many, but I thought mixing it up would be good...I was going to put a new rooster with the girls from this other guys eggs but they are pretty small so I hate to give up egg size. Is this a good enough mix up or should I really get some from outside the group? Not sure how much inbreeding they can tolerate, never had these before. Love love the eggs I get now! None are doubles anymore, just singles, but they are almost as big as one of my bantam's eggs. Sounds like we both had good luck at chickenstock for sure :D No eggs from the turkens yet? I have had three so far start, one at 17 weeks, the other two at close to 19 weeks. One lays every day keeps right up with my golden sexlinks. . Another lays a double frequently, but only 4 or so eggs a week, and the other lays almost every day, I get 6 most weeks. Still waiting on the one from the same hatch as yours, but she is starting to look close.

Last edited:
What is "Chickenstock"? and when? and where?
hu.gif

It is a public event in Idaho Falls, organized by thebirdguy (Shawn). (hope he doesn't mind me jumpin in, lol ) He gives out donated chicks to 4H kids and invites breeders to sell their birds (all ages) and/or hatching eggs. The University of Idaho Extension office provided classes on chicken care and showmanship. BYC thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734035/2nd-annual-rocky-mountain-chickenstock-may-4-2013 facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocky-Mountain-Chickenstock/278351042226117 website: http://www.rockymountainchickenstock.com/index.html

there was a discussion about changing the date from May to June - was a decision made?

My sister, my youngest son and I made the trip from Caldwell in May just because we are crazy ;) I believe it was a 6 hour drive (with stops). We met quite a few BYCers there, talking with them about their chosen breeds and gathering some good info. Basically a networking experience. Of course, we each came home with some fuzzy butts! A large number of birds were sold here on BYC before the event with buyers picking them up during Chickenstock. My advice - if you are planning on attending next year - do not hesitate if you see something you want when breeders publish their list of birds to bring. I did not hear of any complaints as far as quality of birds were concerned, only "man, i shoulda called DIBS online"
barnie.gif

While the trip is not a "money-maker" for us, it was fun to see everyone. Knowing what i do now, i personally prefer buying birds from breeders instead of just grabbing some from the local hatchery. I am researching local events as well, but we are contemplating making it an annual event for our family - taking the entire weekend to enjoy parts of the state we don't usually visit.

Hope that helps :)

so we were going to get started pullets and had just talked abut getting some so i can commune with the chickens before winter starts. My oldest entered a raffle ticket drawing at the Eastern Idaho State Fair and he totally won 5 chicks from hatch a batch hatchery... I wasn't going to brood any chickens this winter!

Going to pick them up tomorrow so I guess we are brooding and not going to get any eggs all winter lol

Back
Top Bottom