Idaho?

Pics
welcome-byc.gif
Happy to have your join our state thread, angelspapa2000
woot.gif

Quote:
If you like Icelandics, you'll love Norwegian Jaerhons! Super friendly little birds that are prolific egg layers. I'm working on a project with them - I'll have eggs this Spring
smile.png
if you're interested!

If you like Icelandics, you'll love Norwegian Jaerhons! Super friendly little birds that are prolific egg layers. I'm working on a project with them - I'll have eggs this Spring smile if you're interested!

I'll look into them!

I like the prolific egg layer part. Because while I've enjoyed my chickens a lot, I want eggs!

Thanks​

Last edited:
I got it for about $18 at the feedstore on Government down in the Hayden/Cda area. It was the one without the gas station.

That was about a month or so ago.

Connie

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Hi!

Where did you get your waterer and how much was it, if I may ask? I really need a couple more of the same size, as I said, the one I purchased online this morning was pretty expensive.
What kind of chickens do you have and how many? I lost 2 pullets (of course!) a couple months ago. They disappeared without a trace - just like yours. We live near Samuels, you can hear the coyotes every night and the birds of prey during the day. We moved the birds right next to the house, and haven't had any problems since..
fl.gif

I got it for about $18 at the feed store on Government in the Hayden/Cda area. The one without the gas station. I don't know if that helps because I don't know where Samuels is! We've only been in No Idaho for about 11 months. We hear all sorts of critters and birds but I think it was a neighbor dog. Hubby saw them the day before and then again the day after. And they got one which we were able to recover several months ago. I guess the neighbors didn't realize the dogs can go over the fence when there is 18 inches of snow piled up on the fence.

We have Golden Laced Wyandottes and the dumbest Dominique Roo you could ask for! We lost our Orp and a Wyandotte
sad.png

smile.png
Thanks everyone so much for your suggestions. Here are the results:

needler - I moved here in August, so I definately understand your confusion. Samuels isn't actually a town - it doesn't have it's own zip code. I'm about 20 miles north of Sandpoint, if that helps
smile.png
And I'll have to look up where Hayden is again, I know I've been through there at least once...thanks for the tip!

ByNatureFarms - The first thing we did when building our main coop was to build a nipple waterer system just like yours. But the chickens had already been drinking out of a trough type waterer for a few months, and the wouldn't drink out of it. I checked it several times to make sure it was functional, but they refused it and would run over to one of my other coops and drink out of the trough waterer. Spoiled as they are, I bought them a 5 gallon metal waterer, and then had to fork out more $$ for the base heater. I love your idea though and I will try it with my project birds - I still have the bucket with the nipples in it, so all I need is the deicer. I loved the video, and your set up. Thank you so much for sharing and please let me know when you post the new video
smile.png

Evelle - I checked Carter Country Farm and Feed and they don't carry the kind I need, just the base heater like I have. But thanks for the tip, I didn't even know they were there in town.

Quote:
Discoveregg
Hayden is about an hour+ south of you so that is pretty much out of the way! It is a pretty small non-chain store that had it. If you head this way I'll give you directions but I'm sure you can find something up there closer to you.
connie

Quote:
I just ordered the nipples yesterday to do the same!

I'm hoping the heater will keep the nipples from freezing up when it's real cold.

But I figure that is how I want to water them in the warmer weather anyhow so... win win if it works, no loss if it doesn't.

Last year the temp got down -5 to -10 outside, in the barn it was always 15 to 20* warmer. At times a nipple would freeze up but all I had to do was wiggle it and it was fine. I don't know how hot the summers get were you are but I put 2 to 3 frozen 2 litter bottles in the 5 gallon bucket to help keep my birds cool.

Back
Top Bottom