Idaho?

My flock all growing up. We found the Idaho Domestic Bird rescue that has a good number of ducks and we might actually be adding one more female Pekin into our group since we have a male Pekin and Female Khaki.

Gracie and Marsala are both 10 weeks old (SLW)
Ducky is 8 weeks old (Khaki)
Howard aka Peepers is 5 weeks old (Pekin)

Aww! I'm amazed how fast the ducks grow! Our little one seems to grow another inch every time I look at him!

:weee

OH MY! How cute is that!

I've been wondering if any were hatching yet!

I'm starting an incubator full tonight! I haven't counted the eggs yet, but I think I have over 100! Fun, Fun! If anyone is looking for jumbo coturnix quail in SE Idaho let me know. I'll have a bunch in just under 3 weeks.

I really enjoy my quail!

PS I thought they were bacon when I first saw it too! LOL

I am enjoying them too, so cute! I got 20 eggs to lockdown..17hatched, 1 more that was upside down and did not make it out. Pretty good hatch I think! I was thrilled! Woohoo! Finally something HATCHED this year lol! Thank you so much for the eggs and cute babies,my whole family adores them. I love their little whistle and their cute little faces, their eyes are so tiny I have to put my readers on to see them :p

QUESTION: What is the ratio of boys to girls that keeps the peace? If I wanted 5-6 hens, would two boys be good enough? and can two boys be in the same cage or will they fight?

Last edited:
wee.gif

OH MY! How cute is that!

I've been wondering if any were hatching yet!

I'm starting an incubator full tonight! I haven't counted the eggs yet, but I think I have over 100! Fun, Fun! If anyone is looking for jumbo coturnix quail in SE Idaho let me know. I'll have a bunch in just under 3 weeks.

I really enjoy my quail!

PS I thought they were bacon when I first saw it too! LOL

IcyOldHen: I have one of mine that has pipped and the egg is rocking quite a bit. Hasn't attempted to get out of the shell yet though. The other 7 eggs are pretty still. I'm crossing my fingers that they start doing something soon. I'm on day 19. This is my first attempt at hatching any type of egg so if my hatch rate is poor, I'm sure its because I'm not a very good broody.

Ok, one of the quail has hatched. He/she finally decided to get out of the shell. One question though, how long do you leave them in the bator before moving them to the brooder?

QUESTION: What is the ratio of boys to girls that keeps the peace? If I wanted 5-6 hens, would two boys be good enough? and can two boys be in the same cage or will they fight?

Once they start laying I separate them into cages with one male to 3-4 females. You could probably put one male to 5-6 females too. I haven't had two breeding males in the same cage past about 6 week of age. I've heard they will fight but don't have any experience with it.

One of my 2 month old coturnix hens lays huge eggs! My typical quail eggs weigh around 11 grams, her egg from yesterday was 17 grams!

Back
Top Bottom