Idaho?

Would Thursday work? Pick out your sweetest sweets for me... I've got lots of kids and boy do they love to love on the chickens! I assume it would be around 3 or so before we would get over there, but that's just an estimate. Thanks!
That will work.
smile.png
Call me when you pass the last Twin Falls exit and I'll give you directions. GPS will take you the long way through Burley. My number is on my webpage.

Not yet, I've never had anytype of marans til this year and I hear it can sometimes take up til they are 30 weeks old to start laying. She is about 16 weeks old I believe so about half way there.

That lil barnie and EE/silkie cross I got from you turned out to be both boys. Darn the luck :-(
My oldest BTB pullets started laying at 21 weeks. My BCM take forever!

Not yet, I've never had anytype of marans til this year and I hear it can sometimes take up til they are 30 weeks old to start laying. She is about 16 weeks old I believe so about half way there.

That lil barnie and EE/silkie cross I got from you turned out to be both boys. Darn the luck :-(

Both? Oh man. It is funny the chicks that hatched with the barnevelder...there were one of each breed, 6 different chicks. Every single one turned out to be male. Good grief. I am starting to wonder about when we incubate, if the ones that don't make it are females and the boys are hardier and tend to make it to hatch more often... it would make sense because I always have so many turn out to be male. The last time I hatched sexlinks, I had 17 eggs, and 8 hatched male, 4 hatched female, then the 5 that did not make it were female. It was nice to be able to tell by color....it made me wonder if all the hatches are like that! That would explain so much! haha!

My oldest BTB pullets started laying at 21 weeks. My BCM take forever!

Heck ya! The youngest BCM I had last summer, decided to go through the winter and did not start until she was 8 months old. The others were not much younger when they started. It sure was worth the wait though :p

Well, I just set some eggs today from my own birds---a paint showgirl roo over an orange NN turken. Ought to be interesting lol, Also 3 eggs from my black sexlink (Cuckoo marans X FBCM) that I **think ** were fertile by the same SG roo. I wonder what will hatch? I can't wait to see.

Next I am going to put my black frizzle with my Showgirl roo, someone on another thread said I could get frizzles, sizzles, silkies, showgirls, smooth frizzles, all kinds of combos. So I am super excited for the frizzle to start laying so she can be my next experiment, while I am waiting for some other showgirl and silkie babies to grow out for him. I was not going to hatch any more...but I have never had my own fertile eggs, I HAD to do it I was way too excited!

Last edited:
Update on my little backyard flock!
big_smile.png

Marsala and Gracie (Silver Laced Wyandottes) - 18 weeks old
Ducky (Khaki Campbell) - 16 weeks old
Howard (Pekin) - 13 weeks old

They are growing up so fast! Chickens are getting close to laying... waddles and combs are in, very deep red and are in and out of the coop all morning and evening, digging around.

Ducky is also getting close, in and out of the coop as well investigating it. Poor Howard is left outside quacking when all the girls leave him.

Ducky is also practicing mating... well asking to be matted I guess... lol Poor Howard has no idea what the girl is trying to do. He just isn't to that point yet.

Squeaky McMurdo---remember your baby Moxie that I sent home for you at chickenstock? Her twin that I kept, is a boy. Dang. He looked way more boyish though than your pics. So now be sure to tell me what color egg you get, I am excited to find out
smile.png
I have two more from that batch of chicks, but one is white and one is a lighter orange. Hoping they lay nice eggs, but they are not as sweet as the one that looked like Moxie.
hmm.png

and mo5c.....just checking in on your mom's frizzle, it still looking like a girl? I hope so! I posted some pics awhile back of mine, so far nobody has said it looks boyish so I hope that is good omen.

I can hardly tell mine apart! Not at all from a distance.

Since I put them outside they aren't very friendly anymore :( My husband has procrastinated building a gate to keep them in their run so they spend most of their time running around my backyard and hide from me under the playhouse, the deck, and in the goat pen. I have taken matters into my own hands and am just waiting on a friend to drop off a piece of chicken wire to put on the inside of my recycled box springs gate. Before they realized they could fly over the 2 ft temporary gate I had there, they were happy to gather at my feet so hopefully their friendliness will return. My bantam cochin and austrolorp (that was supposed to be a pullet but is a boy) are the only ones I can catch without great effort. lol

When do bantam cochins start laying? She's around 15 weeks now.

Last edited:
Well, I just set some eggs today from my own birds---a paint showgirl roo over an orange NN turken. Ought to be interesting lol, Also 3 eggs from my black sexlink (Cuckoo marans X FBCM) that I **think ** were fertile by the same SG roo. I wonder what will hatch? I can't wait to see.

Next I am going to put my black frizzle with my Showgirl roo, someone on another thread said I could get frizzles, sizzles, silkies, showgirls, smooth frizzles, all kinds of combos. So I am super excited for the frizzle to start laying so she can be my next experiment, while I am waiting for some other showgirl and silkie babies to grow out for him. I was not going to hatch any more...but I have never had my own fertile eggs, I HAD to do it I was way too excited!
Sounds like you will have some really fun crossings to see!!!
jumpy.gif

Both? Oh man. It is funny the chicks that hatched with the barnevelder...there were one of each breed, 6 different chicks. Every single one turned out to be male. Good grief. I am starting to wonder about when we incubate, if the ones that don't make it are females and the boys are hardier and tend to make it to hatch more often... it would make sense because I always have so many turn out to be male. The last time I hatched sexlinks, I had 17 eggs, and 8 hatched male, 4 hatched female, then the 5 that did not make it were female. It was nice to be able to tell by color....it made me wonder if all the hatches are like that! That would explain so much! haha!
Heck ya! The youngest BCM I had last summer, decided to go through the winter and did not start until she was 8 months old. The others were not much younger when they started. It sure was worth the wait though
tongue.png

Sounds exciting. I just love frizzles, they are so adorable.

That will work.
smile.png
Call me when you pass the last Twin Falls exit and I'll give you directions. GPS will take you the long way through Burley. My number is on my webpage.
It's probably going to be tomorrow. I'm so sorry!!!! We've got one asthmatic out of the five kids, and he had a horrible night last night. I don't want to leave Daddy to have to tend to him today, because he's a bear. Most likely he'll just come along for the ride tomorrow (unless it flares up again tonight). THANK YOU!

Can't stop laughing. My neighbor wins the Doodah of the Year Award. Aparently someone enjoyed Teton Raptor Center's demonstration at the park on Monday waaaaay too much because they thought one of my chickens was a falcon and called Animal Control. :lol:

I can only hope it was an Easter Egger she saw because I suppose mine look sort of hawk-like. If they saw a SLW, bantam barred cochin, or one of my gawky teenage Australorps and mistook one of them for a Bird of Prey they have big problems. :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom