Idaho?

You can also get SBEL from a true ameracauna over leghorn hens... My first ones should be starting to lay in a month or so.... If you want some eggs to hatch in the Spring.. let me know

I've gotten the hubby right on board with raising chickens in the spring. We had one little chick hatch out not too long ago, and he's smitten. I've got him interested in something other than your average hatchery birds. Those super blue egg layers sound fun. I'd like to get some of the blue and lavender orps. He loves the polish roo I got and he even picked out the name. Einstein.

Quote:
Winter is not my friend this year, I have been really sick with neumonia and the flu, so hadn't been able to clean coops until yesterday evening which was not fun, it took me two and a half hours plus a flat head screwdriver (to chisel the frozen chicken poop off the top of my internal nesting boxes in my big coop), on the plus side with it being frozen to the straw it made for easy straw removal with minimal dust. Winter has also claimed another chicken, poor guy froze to death. I think I just need to give my dad $10 a month so he can run a heat lamp for the remaining chickens at least at night. My hens hate the snow, when I went to let them loose yesterday all they did was look at me like I was crazy, they slowly came out of the coops though. My remaining 4 (I had 5) bantams seem to be fairing well in this cold weather, I even got them to integrate over into the "big house" as I call it (I have a small coop and a big coop) so that they are warmer than just being in the temporary coop aka the extra dog house. I wonder how much it would cost to get enough plastic to wrap my run with?

Quote:
Congratulations on getting him on board :), good luck on raising chickens in the spring it is lots of fun. Welcome to the Chicken craziness.

Back
Top Bottom