Idaho?

Incubator questions:

1. is it normal for the wafer thermostats to go all screwy? Mine held the temp steady for the first 10 days and now it keeps adjusting itself. I've tried adjusting it every few hours, when I turn my eggs, but it is nearly impossible to get it at 99.5 again. I do not have a digital thermometer, but we calibrated before we began. We hollowed out an egg, sealed the shell with acrylic spray, filled it about 1/2 full with water, then hot glued the thermometer into the egg, making sure the water covered the bulb.

2. I was not aware that we had to turn our hatching eggs during their storage time. When I could turn the eggs frequently in the bator, the yolk would slowly slide along the shell. Now that I can only turn them every 8 hours, the yolks are stuck. I have a few eggs where the embryos are between the shell and the yolk, and a couple where the embryo is developing on the opposite side, near the center of the egg. I am wondering if I should stop this batch and start all over again - we are on day 10. All eggs are showing movement.

Pics of our home-made bator are below - thanks in advance for your help.

If your temperature is fluctuating, you could try adding a heat sink or two. What you do is put a sealed mason jar filled with water (as close to the incubator temp as possible) and place it in there to help hold the heat.

If you see the chicks growing, I wouldn't worry about how they are positioned right now. They go through a lot of changes as they grow. It's not 100% necessary to turn eggs before they are set. Once they are incubating they need to be turned for proper growth. Maybe you could get an auto turner? I wouldn't give up on the hatch.
smile.png

If your temperature is fluctuating, you could try adding a heat sink or two. What you do is put a sealed mason jar filled with water (as close to the incubator temp as possible) and place it in there to help hold the heat.

If you see the chicks growing, I wouldn't worry about how they are positioned right now. They go through a lot of changes as they grow. It's not 100% necessary to turn eggs before they are set. Once they are incubating they need to be turned for proper growth. Maybe you could get an auto turner? I wouldn't give up on the hatch.
smile.png
We do have 3 sealed mason jars under our tray (hard to see in the photos) - super puzzled over the fluctuations. only 3 because i didn't have a 4th the same size, our other support is a plastic cup, lol. we have a pie tin centered between them for humidity control.

Thanks for the encouragement - our last attempt was a bust, just wanting this one to go better.

fl.gif

My chicken experience is not going so well...winter has claimed yet two more of my hens, my big orpington Jane and Storm (one of my great-nephew's bantams). I am also going to be shrinking my flock. I nor my dad can afford to buy feed for 20 chickens. I am going to decide which ones I am keeping and then will either post the ones up for grabs on here or I will put it on CL.

My chicken experience is not going so well...winter has claimed yet two more of my hens, my big orpington Jane and Storm (one of my great-nephew's bantams). I am also going to be shrinking my flock. I nor my dad can afford to buy feed for 20 chickens. I am going to decide which ones I am keeping and then will either post the ones up for grabs on here or I will put it on CL.
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. Winter is NOT fun. What are you feeding your chickens? Is there a way to stretch your feed budget while you try to downsize? A straight diet of commercial feed can get really expensive.

I've been lucky so far this year. I have only lost one so far. Not sure what happened to her. Last year was my first year with chickens and during the winter I lost have of my flock of 8.

We finally got power in the barn!!! We got our interior fences finished this fall... The well is in, pump installed.. just waiting on the inspector to sign off on it so we can bury the pipe to the barn... Won't know what to do with myself with power and water at the barn!!! I won't miss hauling water out everyday from home though that is for sure!!!

We finally got power in the barn!!! We got our interior fences finished this fall... The well is in, pump installed.. just waiting on the inspector to sign off on it so we can bury the pipe to the barn... Won't know what to do with myself with power and water at the barn!!! I won't miss hauling water out everyday from home though that is for sure!!!
Totally jealous!

Well, this has been our first time raising chickens..... They are about 5 1/2 months old and just started laying in December.... We got 104 eggs in December.
Pretty excited..... They are laying pretty well. Even had two double yokers. :)

Ohh, how eggsciting! I'm jealous!

Back
Top Bottom