Idaho?

Okay, so I am located in Boise....

I have a lovely flock of 6 birds. 2 Chickens and 4 Ducks. We are looking into getting 2 more chickens at least (most likely a duck as well, can't help it!). I was curious when abouts you can start looking? I do have male ducks and though I would love to hatch my own, doesn't seem any of them are fertilized when opened and no one ever has gone broody of my ducks or hens. I will be looking for females only of both kinds.

D&B is where I got 2 of my ducks, local farm was the other 2, as for the 2 hens as well. We like raising from right out of the egg, so only a few days old. Would D&B and or Dunlap be the best bet for sexed chickens (hens only)? Or will any of you be offering young babies that are near by?

Also - is there any shows / get togethers / conventions around this area?
We are located not far from you in between Star and Middleton. What kind of ducks are you looking for? Some of the IBBA members raise ducks. There are 2 sanctioned shows here a year. One is the Idaho Fair and the other is a double point show in Nov held at the Caldwell fair grounds. Here is the IBBA website. http://idahobirdbreeders.com/

Everyone is welcome to go to the IBBA meetings. They are held at the Caldwell Sunrise Cafe every 2nd Sunday at 6pm. Next month Mike Stanton will be speaking on Hatching. In March the State Ag Dept is speaking on the National Poultry Improvement Plan NPIP.

We are located not far from you in between Star and Middleton. What kind of ducks are you looking for? Some of the IBBA members raise ducks. There are 2 sanctioned shows here a year. One is the Idaho Fair and the other is a double point show in Nov held at the Caldwell fair grounds. Here is the IBBA website. http://idahobirdbreeders.com/

Everyone is welcome to go to the IBBA meetings. They are held at the Caldwell Sunrise Cafe every 2nd Sunday at 6pm. Next month Mike Stanton will be speaking on Hatching. In March the State Ag Dept is speaking on the National Poultry Improvement Plan NPIP.

Thanks!

Honestly... I am not sure yet on kinds of ducks. What kinds do you usually work with / have?

Thanks!

Honestly... I am not sure yet on kinds of ducks. What kinds do you usually work with / have?
We do not have ducks although, they are really cool. We are not set up for them :(

If you PM me I will put you in contact with a breeder and if he does not have what you are looking for I am sure he can send you to someone that does.

Hope every one has a fun day :)

I wish there were more poultry enthusiasts in my neck of the woods. I feel.......kinda......hello? hello?
tongue.png
I'm in Gooding. We're about 45 mins from Twin Falls. One of these days I'm gonna have to haul the hubby out to your place and talk birds. He wants to get into raising Polish Crested and work on getting some really good qaulity birds. I love looking at your face book and your site at the pics of your flock.

I'm in Gooding. We're about 45 mins from Twin Falls. One of these days I'm gonna have to haul the hubby out to your place and talk birds. He wants to get into raising Polish Crested and work on getting some really good qaulity birds. I love looking at your face book and your site at the pics of your flock.
I love talking chicken! I'll post on my FB page when I get my first polish egg. They are making me wait a long time.
hu.gif

I have a problem and hoping someone can help me out. Somebody dropped off 6 turkeys at the place. Sweetgrass and sweetgrass cross,apparently seeing that we have Sweetgrass they thought I wouldnt notice. I have to find a home for them or they end up in the freezer. If interested pm me.

I love talking chicken! I'll post on my FB page when I get my first polish egg. They are making me wait a long time. :confused:

My two from last Spring hatched 3/1. One started laying just before Christmas, the second one just started a week or two ago. They take forever sometimes!
I have some Polish eggs in the bator from Sphinx, , 2 eggs, from a Golden Laced Polish Mom and a FBCM daddy lol that ought to be interesting~!

Last edited:
My two from last Spring hatched 3/1. One started laying just before Christmas, the second one just started a week or two ago. They take forever sometimes!
I have some Polish eggs in the bator from Sphinx, , 2 eggs, from a Golden Laced Polish Mom and a FBCM daddy lol that ought to be interesting~!
Yes, I've been told that the polish will take their time to get started. They look ready to me.....but no eggs. hehe I hope your polish cross hatch! I bet those will be cute!

What can you do when a dog has attacked and killed your chickens/ducks? I also need advice on care for one...

It happened... just now.... literally 20mins ago. I screamed for my dad because I saw the dog in our (fully fenced) yard on one of my ducks. (The noise of screaming duck is haunting). He ran out with his gun but all he had to do was scream and the dog let go and flopped over on its back, scared crap-less.

We leashed it and it was our neighbors.

Do we call the Humane Society? Do we make a report? Is there anything to do?

For the hurt one - She lost most of her feathers... but is okay. But her waddle is white now... not a hint of pink. Should I bring her in for awhile, or give her electrolytes?, found her after searching for about 15mins and when I did I scooped her up and placed her in the coop. She's just cuddled under the straw now.

What can you do when a dog has attacked and killed your chickens/ducks? I also need advice on care for one...

It happened... just now.... literally 20mins ago. I screamed for my dad because I saw the dog in our (fully fenced) yard on one of my ducks. (The noise of screaming duck is haunting). He ran out with his gun but all he had to do was scream and the dog let go and flopped over on its back, scared crap-less.

We leashed it and it was our neighbors.

Do we call the Humane Society? Do we make a report? Is there anything to do?

For the hurt one - She lost most of her feathers... but is okay. But her waddle is white now... not a hint of pink. Should I bring her in for awhile, or give her electrolytes?, found her after searching for about 15mins and when I did I scooped her up and placed her in the coop. She's just cuddled under the straw now.
Talk to the neighbor and see if they can find a way to better contain their dog. We ended up having to put hot wire around our coop to keep a stray dog out and that really helped. We kept it on a low setting but it only took once and the dog never came back. If the neighbor is not willing to help keep their dog in their own yard then contact animal control and let them know. Most states have a law against dogs running loose, especially if they are killing and attacking other animals.

Back
Top Bottom