Idea for keeping chickens COOL in outrageous HEAT!! Update w/ PICTURE!

I am definitely setting up a cool room today, thanks for the idea. And here's a bonus: All that old shredded zuccini you saved last year in the freezer to make something with? Since it is almost time to put in the new excess zuc, thow it in the coop for chick-cicles. Mine love it.
big_smile.png

Supposed to hit 110 this week. I freeze gallon water jugs they seem to hang around them seems like a god idea to put inside white trash cans to provide shade and cooler.

thx
Shaun

What a great idea! We go through several 1/2 gallons of milk at my work, and put the empty jugs in the recycling. I bet I could bring several of those home to use for the trash can cooling units, plus, one would work great in the 5 gallon waterer as well. We usually don't get really hot here, but 2 weeks ago, we did have one day that it was 104! I thought I was going to lose some of my flock for sure.........I am going to start working on this right away!

Quote:
What I want to know is how some of you can find room in your freezer for gallon water jugs! My freezers--and I do mean plural--are stuffed. It takes a good deal of energy and time to freeze a gallon of water solid, and with multiple pens of chickens, temps in the 100's, a frozen gallon would be thawed at the end of the day--that means freezing multiple gallons, rotating every day to keep up with the 100+ degree days....hmmm, I see the electric meter spinning away
barnie.gif

Quote:
What I want to know is how some of you can find room in your freezer for gallon water jugs! My freezers--and I do mean plural--are stuffed. It takes a good deal of energy and time to freeze a gallon of water solid, and with multiple pens of chickens, temps in the 100's, a frozen gallon would be thawed at the end of the day--that means freezing multiple gallons, rotating every day to keep up with the 100+ degree days....hmmm, I see the electric meter spinning away
barnie.gif

I have one shelf in my upright freezer that only has frozen water jugs on it and no one better put anything else on that shelf from April to October. LOL

I am going to use the gallon jug in the trash can idea for sure.I normally put out smaller frozen water bottles and of course frozen treats.Gotta have those:)
I check on mine several times a day just to make sure they arent stressing too,which I dont mind at all ,its been a tad hard with all the smoke in the air from all the fires that have been going for such a long time here .Thanks for the Idea!!!

Back
Top Bottom