Nobody holds still for pictures

DGandC

Chirping
7 Years
May 2, 2016
South Georgia
I rarely get or have pictures to share, so this is just a story. We have climbed to 34 hens and 1 rooster. Also switched to Sex-link breeds, the ones flagged as more heat tolerant. Turns out that RI Reds are better for cold weather than for hot weather, and since we are in So.GA, heat is a bigger problem. Last time I ordered chicks, ordered hens only, and since you can easily tell the sex at hatching by their colors they seldom error, they were "Sex-Link" breeds, after all.
However, last time got 1 boy. He grew into a huge rooster with white plumage and stands twice the size of the ladies. He searches for bugs for them and they deferr to him, but I have never seen him mount any of them. So no torn up backs, no need to make aprons for them. (perhaps that is why they missed him) And he never challenges me, as other roosters have. In my book he is just perfect! Keep thinking I should name him, but previously used Cogburn, can't think of any others. Any ideas?

Chickens are hard to get pictures of for sure! Just keep snapping and sooner or later, you'll get a decent one. Looking forward to seeing your boy!

I rarely get or have pictures to share, so this is just a story. We have climbed to 34 hens and 1 rooster. Also switched to Sex-link breeds, the ones flagged as more heat tolerant. Turns out that RI Reds are better for cold weather than for hot weather, and since we are in So.GA, heat is a bigger problem. Last time I ordered chicks, ordered hens only, and since you can easily tell the sex at hatching by their colors they seldom error, they were "Sex-Link" breeds, after all.
However, last time got 1 boy. He grew into a huge rooster with white plumage and stands twice the size of the ladies. He searches for bugs for them and they deferr to him, but I have never seen him mount any of them. So no torn up backs, no need to make aprons for them. (perhaps that is why they missed him) And he never challenges me, as other roosters have. In my book he is just perfect! Keep thinking I should name him, but previously used Cogburn, can't think of any others. Any ideas?
He sounds very nice I wish I could have a rooster like him! I hope you can get some pictures!

Back
Top Bottom