Ideal Hatchery

Recap483

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 2, 2013
Just got my order on December 12 from Ideal. 15 Red Broilers 10 Barred Rock pullets and 3 Barred Rock cockerels. All arrived in good health and doing good. First time I have ordered chicks through the mail. I was worried about the weather being cold but it worked out great.

Mail order chicks is about the best way to get the chicks you
want and yes Ideal puts out some healthy ones ...
Now did you get some Probiotic in their water to help keep
them healthy down the road .....
I found it is better in the winter as it is easer to heat them
then to cool them off ............
Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif

Now you can start having fun with your baby's ........
I had a new hatch on the 13 of Dec of Orloff's
celebrate.gif

gander007

That's a nice growth rate on the Red Ranger but that chick doesn't look half as nice as the ones that I got from Cackle - they were very nice. I'm even more impressed with the white heritage breed that I got from http://www.sandgpoultry.com/ but the Black Broilers that I got from Ideal do not look good. They are a few months old now - I raise over 100 chickens and compared to my other boilers - these are, by far, the worst meat producers.

I got a pretty good size order from ideal (55 - 15 black boiler meat chicks, the rest layers and ducks) - one guinea was dead, another had a leg deformity. otherwise - a pretty good looking group - the service was very good.

Connie

I just happened upon them (was first looking at cackle) from what ive read they dont seem to have the greatest quality. cackle i know sells purebreeds but does IDEAL?
i plan on showing at county fairs and ideal is a little cheaper then cackle but i dont want to be getting crappy quality birds

I just happened upon them (was first looking at cackle) from what ive read they dont seem to have the greatest quality. cackle i know sells purebreeds but does IDEAL?
i plan on showing at county fairs and ideal is a little cheaper then cackle but i dont want to be getting crappy quality birds

Almost all hatcheries sell purebred chickens. But most hatcheries do not breed toward the APA standard of perfection. The primary concern with most breeds at hatcheries is egg production.

If you want to show birds, you should seek out a breeder. What breed or breeds do you want?

Last edited:
standard cochins and silkie bantams.
ive looked for breeders but most are no where close to me/ dont ship birds. the silkies would be more for just pets. from what ive seen review wise on other sites IDEAL doesnt have the greatest quality in general of poultry.
i know cackle sells purebred chicks and from what ive seen review wise they are better then IDEAL in the quality area i also saw the NPIP certification on cackles site but didnt see it on IDEALs cackle also does state they breed to (or try to breed to) APA standards of perfection

standard cochins and silkie bantams.
ive looked for breeders but most are no where close to me/ dont ship birds. the silkies would be more for just pets. from what ive seen review wise on other sites IDEAL doesnt have the greatest quality in general of poultry.
i know cackle sells purebred chicks and from what ive seen review wise they are better then IDEAL in the quality area i also saw the NPIP certification on cackles site but didnt see it on IDEALs cackle also does state they breed to (or try to breed to) APA standards of perfection

Most hatcheries have good chickens for pets or for eggs.

"cackle also does state they breed to (or try to breed to) APA standards of perfection." Where does it state this on the Cackle Hatchery website? From what I have seen they just list breed information from the APA.

So you can get Silkie bantams just about anywhere if you just want them for pets. And I suppose for a county fair show a hatchery chicken is okay.

Since you are in California. you should find a hatchery that is closer.

http://www.californiahatchery.com/Brown-Egg-Layers_c_16.html

http://www.belthatchery.com/specialty.htm

Last edited:
Uhhh i think it states it around where they have the "virtual tours" or somewhere around thereit also says it in the catalogs.
unless one of the hatcheries u listed are cheaper i may just try my luck with cackle

Back
Top Bottom