Ideal no longer carries dyed easter ducks and chicks :(

Yes I have a bunch on my farm, after The Easter newness and the color feathers out they come and live on my farm.
hugs.gif

I put an ad on CL about a month after Easter every year and take the little darlings in. I get allot of ducks, some are pretty good ducks that Jr. thinks aren't cute anymore. I get rabbits that way too.

I just have an old folks home for the rejects. LOL But we love them just the same.

Quote:
AL, I did that for several years when I was learning to vent sex. Also marked the few chicks I needed to ID from special matings, expermintal crosses, etc. I always just put a dot on their heads with different colored sharpie markers and re-applied as needed.
None of mine ever grew any extra heads or anything.
idunno.gif

Good to hear it, I was doing the same thing as you, I will use that Sharpie idea though my DD has some different colors I can scam her out of.

I am also against the commercial color dying of these chicks, This whole cutness factor fad/trend has gotten way out of hand, and folks are doing some crazy things all with the excuss of it's so cute...............
roll.png

AL

Quote:
It was a horrendous practice, and I for one am glad they have ceased it. As it is, people get their children baby chicks for Easter presents, only to have the chicks mistreated and, more often than not, dead and tossed in the garbage. That is why I personally will not sell or give away any of my chicks in the week prior to Easter unless it is to someone I know 100% isn't going to be a moron and give a chick to a child as an "Easter present".

Quote:
And they use any white feathered breeds such as White Minorcas, White Rocks, White Cornish (and X's) whatever they can use. Dark feathered chicks usually are not popular for dye ing. Sometimes randomly, they would use washy colors of sex links in red sex links, NH Reds to get the vibrant effects of colors.

but they are all roosters right?

I am very sure MOST of them are roos unless the sexer threw the wrong sexed chick in the roo box.

Quote:
but they are all roosters right?

I am very sure MOST of them are roos unless the sexer threw the wrong sexed chick in the roo box.

That is what I thought. I do not have as big of a problem with colored chicks as others. I know they are an impulse buy for many, but I am sure many of those people pick up some food and a few other things as well for the chicks. When I first got chicks I got 2 from the feed store and my bill with food and a little feeder and waterer was less than $15. What I am getting at is a lot of these little roosters that otherwise would have had no life at all since they would probably have been destroyed shortly after sexing now have the opportunity to get there feet on the ground and have a chance at life. Even if they are given up buy the original person who bought them to someone wanting to raise them for food or if the birds are turned loose they will inevitably become food for a predator (which is sad but part of nature) or if the are lucky enough to find their way to a home to live out their days as a rooster. I am not advocating dying chicks I just try to look at all sides to everything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom