Ideal Poultry

Oh boy, I got 7 packing peanuts, and they are black with white spots/slotches. Now I cannot tell which chicks are the black sex-links I ordered and which are the packing peanuts.

I got to looking at our peanuts and 3 are not the same as the other peanuts. 3 have no white on heads and have no white on belly. The rest have white bellys the white on head,chin and white tip wings. So now I am more confused. they all are starting to get wing feathers and so far they are black feathers but if they are barred it will show as the feathers grow. Did yours all arrive in good shape? I have today a black silkie chick and one black crested white that are just not as energetic as the rest and they are smaller than all the rest so I put chick started vitamin packet in the water and they are drinking so hoping that will perk them up. Can you post pics of your new chicks so I can see if they are the same as my peanuts please?

I ordered 2 male black sex-links. I'm trying to think of breeds where the chicks are black with white head spots, chins, belly, and wing tips. When I called Ideal, they assured me that the packing peanuts would be a breed I did not order. My concern now is if I will be able to tell them apart if they are all barrred birds.

The packing peanuts are all robust and thriving. Unfortunately, I lost two Cream Brabanters, one Spitzhauben, and two Norwegian Jaerhon. Total bummer because Ideal is sold out of these breeds until March through May.

Last edited:
Ordered 25 assorted heavy pullets from Ideal and they arrived yesterday. Five were DOA and lost another last night.

My wife says their customer relations are great and we would order from them again.

I ordered 8 silkies from Ideal and they were all alive, and still are upon arrival, as well as the 10 packing peanuts. I will definitely order from them again :)

country chick, that looks just like the little black silkie I got from ideal. Is that your new one from them also? Wish I knew what our packing peanuts are. I have narrowed it down to about 5 different kinds that they could be from ideal chick pictures and most all are barred type roosters. except the iowa blue and I doubt they would be those.It would be nice if they would list what they are on the invoice.

The packing peanuts are all robust and thriving. Unfortunately, I lost two Cream Brabanters, one Spitzhauben, and two Norwegian Jaerhon. Total bummer because Ideal is sold out of these breeds until March through May.

Ideal seems to be having some issues this year with their rarer breeds/types. I was supposed to pick up a spitzhauben today and the guy told me all arrived not doing well so he has them in a special incubator to try and save them - so far he lost half of them. I hope at least one survives! The Blue Hamburgs he got have several that are not doing so well either. they were supposed to get SLW and didn't because most of them didn't hatch...

I really hope the Brabanters arrive safely next week. That's the one I wanted the most! If there's a spitzhauben still alive, I'll get it at the same time. At least that saves me getting a splash Hamburg I really didn't want (to keep it company).

Whatever it is, they better fix it...I'm sure they will because they are losing sales when birds don't hatch and having to refund for lost chicks costs money.

Whatever you do, if you lose even one chick from a hatchery, call for your refund. This is how hatcheries know their quality control - enough refunds, they change what they're doing because it costs them $$!

Back
Top Bottom