Ideal Poultry

thats what I have seen on a few threads on here and thats why I was upset, Yes I also have had to have my husband put a couple down only for the same as you listed. I don't want any animal to suffer either . I just feel the people that do cull for reason as you said and I have seen is in my opinion wrong. They could give those unwanted chicks away to the kids in 4H or someone would take them. I know a few on here are getting chicks today and this week and I can't wait to see them.
I love the chick stage they are so funny and curious as they get grow. Waiting for those pics!!

Cull can mean a lot of things to differant people, for some breeders they just sell they off or give away! I am a hobby breeder I show here and there, Sell chicks & eggs here and there. For me Culling just means I sell them, I can't keep them all as much as I would like too. they are all my pets and I get a lot of enjoyment out of raising the babys getting to watch them grow and play with them. I grow a garden for them, and bring lots of treats. I like how they all come and run to meet me! So being a breeder can mean alot of things for differant people they are not all evil people

x2

I do mention cull a lot and all I mean is that I sell off the extras. Sometimes it is because they are not show quality, but sometimes you just don't need too many of some that are show quality, such as roosters and I just keep the best ones.

I do cull to sell the pullets as pets and egg laying of ANY breed I have owned, and raised. Hatcheries are not made for SOP requirement and not too often I will get a hatchery that offers Spitzhaubens as pullets.

I cull for no crests, Polish top hats, improper spangles, odd colorations that does not fit the breeds and if the bird is very exceptional to the goal I am working for, then I will see how many generations I need to weed that undesirable trait. Colors are easy to breed out but be aware sometimes "throwbacks" will occur. Polish crests and no crests, I would sell them. Leg colors other than slate, will be culled out.

As for the males if none of them are good, and no one wants them after I put them on Craiglist, they will be used for my stew pot or be sent to the zoo for animal food for the lions, tigers, snakes which its an excellent way of disposing the males.

Dedicated breeders will use that route until we get some "fresh" importations of Spitzhaubens coming into this country. As for the Welsummers, I simply go to the breeders for those.

So the word "cull" does not always mean to kill or to be disposed of. It simply means that we didn't see a need for that particular trait or undesirable traits in that breed which it would be passed on to generation to generation.

Can you guys maybe move this cull discussion to a new topic? This thread is supposed to be about Ideal and the cull subject is a a touchy one to most people and all it takes is one person getting upset to have this thread closed. Pretty please? :)

I got three emails from ideal today saying my poultry has been shipped . They give you plenty of warning. lol
wee.gif
wee.gif
I think they were shipped last night not sure when they will be here. Excited !!!!

Last edited:
OMG THEY CAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i HAVE SAD NEWS THOUGH...ONE OF MU D'UCCLES DIED AND THEN I LOST THE OTHER 2 IN ONE HOUR AND SO NOW I'M DOWN TO 2 D'UCCLES I GOT A GOLDEN NECK AND A BLUE MILLE FLEUR!!!!! sUPER CUTE. ONE DANISH LEGHORN PULLET DIED AND 2 JAPS DIED SO WE ARE SENDING REPLACMENTS!!!!!!! I WILL POST PICS SOON!!!

I have had chicks that came from Ideal, MPC, and Meyer (our local feed store buys from Meyer). I have nothing but good things to say about Ideal! Their customer service... top notch. The health of my birds... I got my white-faced black Spanish from them when I couldn't get them from anyone else, and I've ended up with a beautiful, healthy flock. Surprisingly enough, I believe better than half of these birds meet the SOP. When we expand our layer flock this spring, we'll be ordering from Ideal again.

I have not been unpleased, however, with the chicks from MPC and Meyer, I was just really impressed with the quality of the stock I got from Ideal and their excellent customer service.

Back
Top Bottom