Ideas for Banding chicks legs

Leaguinea

Songster
Jun 22, 2017
SW Ontario, Canada
Hi Guys!!
I am hatching out chicks and would like some ideas for banding their legs for identification purposes as well as if someone buys one I can band it for pick up.
I need something that is easy on / easy off.
I checked amazon, but there are mixed reviews and I don't know what the best options are.
I am hatching out a lot of Silkies so they are bantam size.

Thank you for any input you may have....

Ugh... :barnie

One hatchery that my friend received chicks from used food coloring dripped on their head or back to identify. What I like about it was... no fear of new owners not removing bands in time. And it lasted pretty good, but will molt out.

And they EVEN used red... as red isn't the attractant claimed by so many.. but rather anything out of ordinary attracts attention the most. All combs and waddles are red eventually.

Feathered legs make it harder for the bands to be easily seen, in my experience.

I was kinda hoping to find something similar to hospital bracelets.

BUT... what about using sport tape that only sticks to itself to make bands...
81xKa2np3dL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078P7Y5N8/?tag=backy-20

YES! I like the last idea... :wee

:fl :pop

A lot of people have complained that they are difficult to remove. I dont know why. I've made more than as few placement errors and just cut the top side with my side cutters.

Wing bands are very small. After they feather out they are almost completely hidden.

I used the jiffy wing bands.

I use colored zip ties. The really small ones. They are cheap, come in lots of colors, easy to put on, fit any size leg, and ez to get off. I'm constantly hatching new chicks for sale, meat, and eggs. It's the easiest way I found to keep track of when they were born, who is sold, who is for meat, and who is used for breeding. Only thing is I don't start putting them on until they are old enough to have their wings clipped. Wings get clipped and zip tie gets put on.

I use colored zip ties. The really small ones. They are cheap, come in lots of colors, easy to put on, fit any size leg, and ez to get off. I'm constantly hatching new chicks for sale, meat, and eggs. It's the easiest way I found to keep track of when they were born, who is sold, who is for meat, and who is used for breeding. Only thing is I don't start putting them on until they are old enough to have their wings clipped. Wings get clipped and zip tie gets put on.
Just to clarify they go loosely around a leg to allow for growth.

Back
Top Bottom