Ideas for better hatch rates?

WooingWyandotte

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Arkansas
Hi! So I hatched 3X last year in my 1588 Hovabator. It is about 10 years old…keeps temperature very steady. I use a stand alone hygrometer/thermometer and don’t really pay attention to the incubator thermometer, they are usually very close to eachother and within the parameters for my hatches (99.5-100F).

My first hatch I barely candled; ignored half the time…sometimes I’d look in and the humidity would be anywhere from 25% to 60%. Got about a 75% based on all the eggs I put in (did not check for viability on all of them, threw away none). For the humidity on this hatch I would sporadically pour water in the tray.

2nd hatch went well enough. About 75% hatch rate again, humidity was a lot more stable. I used a cup under the vent hole abd would put water into it thru the vent hole so I would not have to open the lid during lockdown. As the chicks were hatching i noticed the humidity would get SUPER high, like 80’s or more, and then get very dry causing some chicks to be unable to make it out without help.

3rd hatch, again 75% rate as of what was developed by day 14. Humidity at 35%-45% with a sponge in a small cup, final 3 days of hatch 60% or higher. This hatch I ditched the egg turner and turned them myself about 2 times a day sometimes once a day. It was real “loosey goosey.” Ended up at 75% anyway even though I had a lot more eggs without the turner in there (65 to be exact). 7 out of 12 of silky eggs I had were completely infertile 🤦🏻‍♀️

Which is fine, 75% is okay. But I want better. Who here reaches 100%? I know the incubator could be in a better location than my kitchen counter by a big window. Would that solve some of my problems? Temperature has not been an issue that I know of. I did not re calibrate my hygrometer/thermometer between any of these batches (a mistake, yes). Do I need an incubator without a fan? Sometimes it seems like it dries everything out when hatching is happening! Most every chick that pips manages to get out. I’ve noticed hybrid vigor has some to do with it. My crosses hatch quicker than pure, which tend to lose gas through hatching and I help out at some point as long as it’s after day 22 and I don’t see any others pipped.

I haven’t had the balls to do an eggtopsy to ascertain why some are not surviving. Is that the next logical step?

Thank you for your help!

I've had 100% hatch rates with fertile eggs. Not every time though. Different bird eggs have different hatch rates.

Back
Top Bottom