Ideas on how to get profit excess eggs?

How important is organic feed to you?
Depends, I know “organic” feed is not always best but to me this particular feed worked well and seems like the best quality from tsc. Overall I want something good quality whether this means organic or not so I’m open to trying new things.

Yes very true, I make most of my money not in my area but in NJ. Places where most eggs are only sold at the store. I do like having lots of chickens and I do have the space and time but my large quantities of eggs have to be going somewhere.
if you’re already selling eggs somewhere else, and i assume taking on the trouble of transporting them there, why not go all the way in and get whatever paperwork and certifications you need to sell eggs commercially?

taking care of 70 birds plus packaging, transporting, and selling eggs seems like it would be close to a full time job. is that kind of effort worth an income that barely covers feed costs?

if you’re already selling eggs somewhere else, and i assume taking on the trouble of transporting them there, why not go all the way in and get whatever paperwork and certifications you need to sell eggs commercially?

taking care of 70 birds plus packaging, transporting, and selling eggs seems like it would be close to a full time job. is that kind of effort worth an income that barely covers feed costs?
The paperwork is more then just signing you have to fulfill certain guidelines and if you want to work with farmers markets etc I do believe you have to pay for a stand set it up and advertise. That adds a lot more work and at the end of the day I’m not trying to be large scale by any means or make extra profit. I’m perfectly happy if most feed costs are covered. Not to mention I do have to transport eggs on weekends but I drive their anyway to a job family etc so it’s not like I’m only driving for eggs. At the end of the day I will not always have the same amount of birds but even if it’s a lot of work they are a pretty self sufficient pet and I enjoy having them.

Depends, I know “organic” feed is not always best but to me this particular feed worked well and seems like the best quality from tsc. Overall I want something good quality whether this means organic or not so I’m open to trying new things.
Perhaps see if you can find a non-organic feed that works well then. Not a permanent solution, but that organic label is certainly part of the price tag

Well....if you have 70 chickens...that's pretty large scale.
Just because I have a lot now does not mean forever. 13 hens to my friend, 6 roosters to the freezer, and another 13 hens culled because they are prone to health issues by a couple years which they surpassed. Definitely will not be large scale.

Just because I have a lot now does not mean forever. 13 hens to my friend, 6 roosters to the freezer, and another 13 hens culled because they are prone to health issues by a couple years which they surpassed. Definitely will not be large scale.
Will that take care of your lack of market then? Is this current problem short term?

The easiest way to reduce your feed cost is to reduce the number of head. If you have stockpiled eggs, they really are not "laid this morning'.

I would not worry about anyone else or the moral aspect to home raised verse commercial raised eggs. I have eaten, cooked and baked with both and they get the job done. I love having chickens, and eggs, but some eggs are not as good as others. I have had to buy eggs when my needs were more than my production, and those eggs worked just fine.

You need to make decisions for you, your set up, and your market. You are just way over production for your market. If you find another market - that would help, but it is hard to do.

So to reduce production, reduce your numbers. Selling laying hens is another way to recoup costs too. Going into winter, it is better to be under stocked than over stocked for your coop.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom