Ideas, suggestions needed! New to raising chickens and we could really use some advise on a coop.

lovelien4

Hatching
May 16, 2015
Eau Claire, WI

Hi Everybody,

I have been reading the posts and feel like so many of you are so knowledgeable and I would love to just invite you to come over and see what we have and get your imput but since we can't, I've uploaded some pictures. :)

We have been blessed with a huge yard with several outbuildings. We also have a big metal swing set that we have seen people turn into a tractor. We really want to do it right the first time and do not want it to turn into junky hillbilly look. Since this is our very first attempt at raising chickens in Wi we really needed to make sure they stay warm in the winter too. We would like to start with 4-5 hens.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? We welcome any advise! Thank you and be blessed!

Great out building to have as a foundation to start with, nest boxes close to the floor,roost above everything in coop,those windows look to have covers that hinge down flip them over so the hinge is at the top so they can remain open and won't allow rain to get in,it would probably be easier to build a new run with lumber instead of using the swingset.

Hello!
welcome-byc.gif

We have a very similar building that we are in the middle of rehabbing. Some people, like me, need the time constraint of already having the dang chickens to find the hustle to work on it.
tongue.png

So, it's not much to look at yet, but we've been patching it up, reglazing windows, replacing a few damaged boards and adding ventilation, etc. I will share more pics as we get further along.

For the run, we are planning on building a partially covered hoop house. We feel like thats our best bet for having a usable run in the winter.

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC. :)
Make sure your coop is well ventilated, I see your in WI, probably cold in winter like us, a well ventilated coop seems to be the key to preventing frostbite. If you plan on a rooster open water is bad in winter, they dip their wattles in and then get frostbite, mine was lucky this winter, I plan on a five gallon bucket waterer with water nipples heated with a birdbath heater for this next winter. Looks like you have good sized buildings, bigger is better IMO, cause you never know when the 'chicken math' will set in Lol. Hoop coop style run is a good idea cause it can easily be covered with a tarp to keep the snow out.
On your chicken tractor if you build one lighter is better but if you put a cover on it it can act as a sail and blow away in high winds, not good if the birds are in it. I plan on going light when I builld one but will be staking it down with rebar just in case.
Good luck!
Oh and what breed(s) do you plan on getting?

These buildings have lots of potential for a chicken coop!
Try to make sure your coop has enough shade for the summertime.
Your nest box needs to be relatively dark so the hens don't get interested in their eggs, peck them open, then they will actually eat their eggs.
Your roosting poles/Perches can't be too far off the ground because as they get older, they might hurt themselves flying down in the morning.
If you will be getting chicks, wood shaving bedding is the way to go instead of hay or newspaper. However, be sure NOT to get cedar shavings and go for pine or aspen.
Be prepared because some chicks will die in the brooder. (That is completely natural.) You can help them by getting electrolyte packets for chicks which helps them stay active and healthy.

There is so much more to know about how to raise chickens. These are just my personal tips. I HIGHLY recommend this website: http://www.fresheggsdaily.com
I hope you found this of some help to you. Good luck!

I use a combination of dead tree leaves in the fall and sawdust from cutting firewood for bedding. I have a dirt floor but the deep litter method can be used on a wood floor, my father has for many yrs and his floor is still solid. Deep litter is easier, healthier for the chickens and gives off a little heat I hear so keeps the coop warmer in winter . Lots of info here on BYC on deep litter. Also here http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/deep-litter-method.html

Thank you! We are really excited to start on this journey and thank God we found this page with so many great helpful people like yourself!!

Question about venting the coop...our temps can get to -40 and wthat's without the windchill. When you say ventilation do you mean a couple of vents like you might see on a house? Our building isn't insulated right now, would you spend the extra money and do that now? Not do it at all?

Thank you for this wealth of information!! We picked up the chicks yesterday and still have a while before moving them in.

Here's a health question that I am hoping you can answer. We bought 2 orpingtons, 2 brown leghorns, 1 barred rock, 1 belgian d'anver. They are all doing great except the barred rock. She is eating, drinking and pooping but seems VERY droopy. Any suggestions? I am worried about this little one.

About your sick chick, are you feeding medicated feed? Is the vent clear? I would start treating for coccidia, just in case. It doesn't hurt to treat for it if it's not coccidia, but if it is coccidia it can kill very quickly without treatment.

You'll want the vents to be as close to the roof line as you can get, and you'll want them to be fairly big. The idea of ventilation is to move the damp air at ground level up and out of the coop. This will help vent the heat in the summer, damp air in the winter, and prevent the buildup of ammonia overnight. It is a key component of keeping your birds healthy. All openings, vents and windows need to be securely covered in hardware cloth. Chicken wire is good at keeping chickens in, but is useless for keeping predators out. Also, make sure that your latches are racoon proof. They are very good at figuring out simple latches.

Back
Top Bottom