If you could only have ONE breed?

Celticdragonfly

Crowing
May 17, 2018
Saginaw, TX
So I've enjoyed the Dream Flock thread - seems like most of us are talking about how we want one of these, and one of these, and several of THOSE, and....

But - what if you had to pick one breed of chicken, and that's the only one that would be in your flock from then on?

What would you pick? And why? (And where, if your location is part of it. I know I look at breeds with black hens, and think that sounds like a cruel thing to do in Texas heat.)

Black austrolorps are a relatively heat tolerant breed. Peeps in Phoenix raise them. Texas would be fine. (equivalent) It is the ability of a chicken to dissipate heat thru comb, and wattles, and feet, as well as breath that cools the chicken. The feathers even though black, do insulate the chicken from the radiant heat.
I only keep a few chickens as pets, so I like assortment. I also like banties and LF. But if you were going to threaten me with bodily harm:gig to keep only one breed,,,,,,, it would be Easter Eggers.
I'm up north in Chicago are with 4 seasons.

Oliver Egger or Red Sex Link. These two breeds have impressed me so far within my flock, I know that OE's are a mutt. My OE started laying at 17 weeks an egg every other day. The red sex links are just like dogs to me, it's amazing all the different personalities chickens have within a flock. Both are heat tolerant and very good free rangers. I might change my answer over time because this is my first official flock and Im raising 3 other breeds to add into this flock (Deleware, Ameraucana, and Barred Rock).

I honestly would pick OE though out of the two breeds. Her eggs are just stunning and I love going to get fresh green eggs every day out of the nesting box.

For me it's the bramha I'm hoping I wont have to choose between bantam bramhas and large as they are both my favourite they lay a reasonable amount of eggs have extremely good personalitys can come in a verity of colours are really good mums u can leave the chicks in the flock and the rooster or other hens wont kill them and I'm in Ireland but where I keep my bramhas is on a half wet half dry area at the top with shade so they can choose where they want but they always stay at the top where is dryer

Although my favorite hen is a Buff Orpington (the lone survivor of a mink attack in her coop and clearly the chicken queen here), the first chicks I brooded were Salmon Faverolles, and that's the breed I would have to choose if I only got one.

The Favs are beautiful, friendly, good layers, have survived all the extreme and weird weather Iowa has to offer in its four seasons, and with their feathered faces and fluffy legs, they make me smile every day. They have learned from the BO to come to the back door to beg for grapes, and when arguing over their favorite nest box (from the four identical ones) their enthusiastic squabbles can be heard in the house. They have personality plus!

Probably the UK standard on Araucana. I love their crests, along with the tails and so on. And who doesn't like blue eggs?? LOL

I would have to agree. although mine are not show standard and yet to give me a blue egg, out of all my breeds I own I think this would be the one I would choose to stick with. plus my boy has been the BEST rooster so far

Back
Top Bottom