If you get peafowl as babies will they fly away as adults?

Miss Cheep

Songster
Aug 6, 2021
WA state
Hi! We have been searching for peafowl for awhile now, and we found some three day old peachicks. I was wondering if we got them as babies would they still fly away when they are adults? Thanks!

I’ve always heard guinea fowl will stay where they are raised. It becomes their territory and they will even get loud when other animals intrude.

I’ve always heard guinea fowl will stay where they are raised. It becomes their territory and they will even get loud when other animals intrude.

I’ve heard them called guard dogs. Guard birds. And not just animals. Basically anyone or anything that is not living in their territory they will squawk at

I second the question! We had a young adult peahen adopt us in the early spring. I know they'll leave if there's not enough food, and she routinely flies in and out of the chicken pens and roams our (fenced) 4.5 acres. Still hanging around, laying 4-6 (infertile, I guess) eggs every month or so. I've thought about getting more...

Use game bird starter - better calcium/protein balance.

Attachments

• 20220807_080305.jpg
    20220807_080305.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
That was a worse picture than I thought. Sorry - half asleep this morning when I took it. She's right in front of the car if you missed her. LOL 😆

@Toothpick , Our girl is very shy, almost timid. But after she saw me pick up the cat who's always in the pens (for mice), she doesn't move away from him anymore: he moves away from her! Although we only occasionally hear call at dawn or dusk when she's answering calls (at least 2 others around here in different directions). Haven't heard any males.

@Toothpick , Our girl is very shy, almost timid. But after she saw me pick up the cat who's always in the pens (for mice), she doesn't move away from him anymore: he moves away from her! Although we only occasionally hear call at dawn or dusk when she's answering calls (at least 2 others around here in different directions). Haven't heard any males.
That’s interesting. I’ve considered releasing a few in the yard for bug control (ticks). But I fear the dogs we have would chase them non-stop.

Back
Top Bottom