If you have a dog.....

A Bernese mountain dog and a Corgi. Both good dogs, but begin the "pack mentality" around the cats so, would trust neither around my chickens if they were together.
hmm.png

I have some kind of terrier (no idea what, he weighs about 60 pounds though) and a basset hound. The terrier has no interest in the birds at all but my basset hound thinks HE'S one of the chickens.. he runs with them and eats grass and digs through the compost with them and all lol He's even tried eating the chicken food.

I have a German bred German Shepard. Very high prey drive but very smart and very loyal. I have no doubts she would go after the chickens if we were not with her. We have the chicken coop in the barn and she is allowed to go back there with me occasionally, she has never gone for them because she knows its not allowed but oh does she watch when they run. I imagine if she ever jumped the fence separating the dog area from horse and chicken areas then we would have dead birds.

Here she is in that awkward stage between puppy and dog where nothing seems to 'fit' like those big ears
tongue.png

Photo-0090.jpg

Pug and a Golden Retriever. Great around the birds. Retriever needed a correction as a juvenile with an electric collar once but have not used it since.

I have a little foxie-poo 5lbs of fury until the red star goes after her and then she runs like the devil. She's 6 mths old i'm trying to break her from chasing them , any suggestions?

We have two rottweilers and one queensland/border collie mix, none of whom can be trusted with the chickens.

Years ago we had a purebred queensland heeler and a lab/shephard mix. Those two shared space with my chickens every day for years and never touched a single one right up to their last day on earth. Chickens went into their pen, laid eggs in their houses, ate from their bowls. Never so much as looked at them crooked. Man I miss those two dogs!

Back
Top Bottom