If you have a dog.....

A male basset hound and a female some-kinda-hound-mix from an overcrowded shelter in Mississippi. I let the dogs and chickens/turkeys (all were still only 10-12 weeks old) get used to each other through the chain link fence for a few days and then I took the female hound (the one I was most worried about) through the large yard on a leash. Couldn't care less. The basset is more interested but the one rooster, Mario, makes sure the basset doesn't stay too close. I leave them unsupervised and have had no problems.

I have an American Pit Bull Terrier mix. I trust him (supervised) around the other animals. My fiance has a husky who is NOT good around the chickens and would kill them in a heart beat.

Chihuahua is just fine with the girls, BUT the mini Dachshand is a killer and once he gets going the Fox Terrier is all for the fun and games, The Fox Terrier is also driving the girls nuts the way he runs around the chicken yard all day long. They have got hold of 5 of the girls now but I was able to get them away from them fast and save them. I don't think I will be that lucky again.

We have 3 dogs.

The Golden retriever is 13 and not much interested in chasing anything. She pretty much ignores the chickens.

The Shorthair Pointer/ Brittany cross is nearly blind and deaf, but he stalks the chickens when he can see them. He is only in the yard when they are out when supervised. The other day he went in their pen, and they took exception to his cleaning up their treat plate and the seven of themn surrounded him. I rescued him before he did anything to them, but he was a little scared and might have retaliated if I hadn't gotten there to extract him. They also tend to peck at a couple of skin tags he has on his legs. All in all a volatile situation.

The young dog (2 1/5 years old) is a long-haired standard dachshund. I'm not sure what to think of Lucky. A couple of days ago, two of the pullets ganged up on him and chest bumped him. He clearly knew he wasn't allowed to fight back. He came back to the door where I was standing and wanted to come back in the house away from those awful dinosaurs. I think that he might take off someone's head if he got pecked or bitten. Supervision only at this point.

Long and short. When the dogs are out and the chickens are out, so am I.

My standard poodle is a perfect farm dog, doesn't so much as give my chickens or Guineas a second look. But having a sense of humor as Standards do, he will run across the yard right through my flock making sure everyone scatters. Laughing all the way I'm sure!

I have 2 6 month old pups that are 3/4 yellow lab with 1/4 retriever. They are great with kids but not so great with chickens. When they were 5 months old I caught them with a chicken in their mouth, but the chicken was fine because with them being bird dog breeds they have soft mouths. However i went out last week to let the chickens out and one had escaped by flying over the wall and by the time i found the dogs with it all that was left was the feet and feathers. They are back yard only dogs now. I had the goats in the back yard with them and i saw them biting at their heels and throat, so now the goats are in the front with the chickens and the dogs are all alone. I think that them killing the chicken has started them down a very bad path. I'm hoping that time and separation will calm them down then i'll start over training them with the animals.

I have Erin, a Corgi and Annie, a Terrier mix. Erin is 12 and has no interest in chickens (other than eating their poop
sickbyc.gif
). Annie, on the other hand, likes the chickens even when they're just eggs! She likes for me to hold them so she can sniff their tail feathers and to sit in the yard with them. She takes seriously her job to chase away the neighborhood cats from our fence line, too.
24456_erin.jpg
24456_delaware_blue_hen_046.jpg

we have 2 dogs and a cat, all get along well with the chickens. strangest thing we have had was a pet pig of about 200 pounds, cat had 4 kittens in pig's pen....pig thought they were hers and they would crawl all over her and sleep with her. she was very protective of them. the dogs watch after the chickens when the chickens are free ranging. they will follow me in and out of the chicken pens.

we have 3 dogs all pitbull/ hound mixes and they are great with the chickens. They all lay around together. I think it's all about how you introduce them.

2470_mary_kate_lucy.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom