If you have a dog.....

I have a Pug also, he is black and he loves the chickens. He saved one of mine from a hawk, the hen was in his tallons and my pug jumped him.
He let go of the hen then grabbed it again and my dog jumped him again and he finally let go of our girl.
The hen survived. Now my dog walks around like he is all that, standing on the deck looking out to see if any animal is around.

I have a corgi/aussie mix that we adopted from the humane society that is great with all our other animals, chickens, rabbits etc. I also have two poms that would eat them if they had the chance! I think its more on the training than the dog but i :)wouldn't get a breed with a high prey drive! Good luck

My Rough Collie has been out with us to the barn and seems amused by the chickens, but we are still very watchful. The new puppy, a Border Collie/Wirehair Pointing Griffon mix, is still too enthusiastic to be around them.

My cat on the other hand is out with them all the time. When we throw out scratch she insinuates herself among the flock so she can catch the little birds that come to steal the food. Smart Kitty!

Two chihuahuas (one who thinks chasing the chickens is the coolest thing since sliced bread, and they chase back!) and one golden retriever/shepherd mix. The golden mix was raised as a puppy around the chickens and is as sweet as can be. She's more interested in eating their droppings than anything else! The Chihuahuas aren't big enough to be a threat, and the rambunctious one only wants to play anyway.

Great Dane and 2 Mini Dachshunds.
Great dane doesn't seem to notice the chickens, they even roost on her when she is sleeping.
Mini Dachshunds are very well trained, now. At first my little male ate 8 chickens in total, I broke that habit real fast.

We have 2 Australian Cattle Dogs, brothers actually. They are wonderful. I was worried about them because the woman where we got the parents had problems with hers with small animals. Our boys are absolutely bulletproof with our animals. I have no doubt in my mind that they will not harm even the smallest chick. We introduce them to the newest ones, telling them look you have someone knew to guard and they are really sweet. They end up licking the baby chicks. They are not fond of geese or male turkeys and keep them in their place with a well placed chest push or grab around the neck that has no teeth in it and that happens only if the turkey or goose attacks them... which is once a month or so, silly things.

Heaven help anything that tries to harm their "charges". They rule the roost. They herd us even. They walk out to get the paper and the mail and make sure we are safe. The are protective but not obnoxious. They are trained to an underground fence and can go out and socialize on hiking trails and bike paths with no problems with other dogs but none are ever welcome on our property here at home because we had problems with them eating our animals and the dogs know it.

Great breed if you get the right ones or work with them. We spend a lot of time with ours.
Laurie in VT

I have a ten year old chow/pit/mix who shares the yard with two cats and four chickens and two ducks. When feeling feisty the dog will run through the yard just to make things squawk and run but she has her laughing dog face on when she does it. I feel like my birds are safer when she is in the yard than when they are out there alone. MY pets are safe, but nothing else is coming into my yard without permission.

The only problem I have with mixing animals is that the chickens sneak into the house to eat the dog food!

I have 2 Dobermans, a Cattle Dog, & a Jack Russell\\Rat Terrier mix puppy. I trust the Cattle Dog 100% without supervision. The dobes like to make the chickens run, but that's it. The puppy likes to eat their food and droppings more than chasing the birds. We are still working on that.

No matter what the breed or age, it depends on the dog's training and how you handle each situation with the birds.

Back
Top Bottom