If you knew then what you know now...

Yeah, that's another thing I'd recommend. Make everything operable from the outside. And always think "What could go wrong with this solution?" and "Is there a more practical way of doing this?" before installing something.
gig.gif
Yes, the "what could possibly go wrong" scenarios are very important.

Best advice I can add, if your coop is big enough to walk into, make sure there's a way you can get out in the event the door accidentally locks behind you. Don't say it can't happen, that you have a certain type of lock, etc. Trust me, it can happen.

You sure don't want it to happen during a heat wave when no one else is around and you're then STUCK until someone figures out you're missing. Have a second point of exit that locks from the INSIDE so that you can escape if necessary. Second exit doesn't have to be a full size door, just big enough for you to get through. No, the chicken pop door isn't big enough unless you're about 10 years old.
AND don't ask me how I know this. Just trust me, okay???
barnie.gif

Thanks!!
I know there's a learning curve, but being a bit of a perfectionist yet on a tight budget is hard! I would love to go out and drop 3K on a pretty, already built coop, but that's not going to happen.

Old barn burned down in '05 (original to the property...so 150-years-old!)
We still have a giant woodpile of all the useable beams and siding from that old barn we are hoping to repurpose into a large coop. Would love to make it a mobile coop (with our big Kubota) but not sure if that's a silly idea or not for a "large" flock.

I'm finding that wanting to keep 20 hens seems like a LOT...was really hoping that wasn't an extravagant number. I would need a coop with about 80-100sf, correct?

Sarah

My coop and run provide 34 sq. ft. per bird.... I don't want them caged up like factory birds....

You are providing 4-5 sq. ft. per bird... You have the property and the materials to do it right...

Oh no. My kids have a habit of locking me in the coop when I go in to check on things. LOL But, I can see how it can happen. I've locked myself out of the house several times after changing locks.
wink.png

Also, access to nest boxes on outside is a much better plan IMO. Mine are on the inside wall next to storage so I can't cut an access door. It means poopy boots every day to fetch eggs. I will be cutting an outdoor panel ( well hubby will) to move boxes to to exterior wall next.

Oh no. My kids have a habit of locking me in the coop when I go in to check on things. LOL But, I can see how it can happen. I've locked myself out of the house several times after changing locks.
wink.png

Also, access to nest boxes on outside is a much better plan IMO. Mine are on the inside wall next to storage so I can't cut an access door. It means poopy boots every day to fetch eggs. I will be cutting an outdoor panel ( well hubby will) to move boxes to to exterior wall next.

That's pretty much what happened. Husband and I were in the coop and he left. I wasn't finished so I stayed. He automatically slid the lock bolt. We make sure we lock it every time we leave and he did it without thinking. I didn't realize I was locked in for a while as I was busy. By that time he was in the house - doors and windows shut as AC was running. It was a bit over an hour before he wondered where I was!

Another time - during the cold - the metal rod just slipped back into the lock when I was inside. I think I jiggled the door and, as the metal was cold, it was just enough to move it over to lock me in. Luckily someone else was outside and they could hear me screaming!

We have a small door, about 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft, near the floor to shovel litter out of the coop. We moved the lock on that door so it's inside. That way anyone locked in the coop will have a way to escape.

Back
Top Bottom