If you were moving cross country would you take your flock?

If you were moving across country would you take your flock?

• Yes, what a silly question!

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • I would take a few favorites.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • No way, No how!

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • It would be a hard decision, glad I don't really have to make it.

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
I didn't move nearly as far as you're going to, but I did move 550 miles and brought my 2 dogs, 2 cats, 6 chickens (I had way more, but sold down to the ones I just couldn't bear to part with) and rabbit along with me. We put them in the back of a horse trailer in a large (and heavy!) double sided hutch. The rabbit was on one side and the chickens on the other. I bought an extra rabbit feeder and water bottle for the chickens so they would have access to feed and water the entire time. We ran into a hitch when the wheel on my DHs truck flew off going down the interstate. I loaded the kids, dogs and cats in my car (it was a very uncomfortable ride, by the way!) and we had to continue on without my hubby, chickens and rabbit. I was SO worried about them, and it took until the end of the next day for him to get back on the road, so they all stayed in that hutch a good 48 hours during the move. When he finally got here, I was seriously expecting the worst. However, when we opened the trailer, the chickens were happily scratching around in their hay and there was even 3 eggs sitting in a tidy little nest in the corner. I was impressed, to say the least. Between my broodies and incubator, my 6 chickens quickly turned into 40 again (and I'm STILL hatching :oops:).
So, it can be done. It just takes some well thought out planning and determination. If you can't part with them, then don't. I couldn't get rid of my Silkies, I'd worked so hard to build up my flock and I put a ton of work into breeding them as close to the standard as I could. And, I'm glad I brought them with me because I've been having a terribly hard time finding good quality birds around here!

Best of luck with your move! Plan for the unexpected, because it will likely happen!

If you did it during mild weather you could probably put 5-6 chickens in an XL dog kennel. Food and water dishes attached to the kennel front (use plastic cups 1/2 full). We have traveled pretty darn far with turkeys this way (1-2 per kennel). It will be stressful but I doubt they'll all die. And have you seen how commercial operations ship turkeys? They stuff them into tiny wire crates that they have to lay down in. Then they stack them 4-6 high and 20-30 deep on an open flatbed semi truck. Then they blow down the interstate at 80MPH. I'm thinking if they had high losses they wouldn't do this. I don't think it's the right way to do it but I'm saying that putting them in kennels in a cargo trailer for a couple of days isn't the end of the world. When you let them out at your new home they won't even remember the long ride. They'll scratch around and do chicken things. Just my opinion. If you are dead set on doing it then go for it.

I didn't move nearly as far as you're going to, but I did move 550 miles and brought my 2 dogs, 2 cats, 6 chickens (I had way more, but sold down to the ones I just couldn't bear to part with) and rabbit along with me. We put them in the back of a horse trailer in a large (and heavy!) double sided hutch. The rabbit was on one side and the chickens on the other. I bought an extra rabbit feeder and water bottle for the chickens so they would have access to feed and water the entire time. We ran into a hitch when the wheel on my DHs truck flew off going down the interstate. I loaded the kids, dogs and cats in my car (it was a very uncomfortable ride, by the way!) and we had to continue on without my hubby, chickens and rabbit. I was SO worried about them, and it took until the end of the next day for him to get back on the road, so they all stayed in that hutch a good 48 hours during the move. When he finally got here, I was seriously expecting the worst. However, when we opened the trailer, the chickens were happily scratching around in their hay and there was even 3 eggs sitting in a tidy little nest in the corner. I was impressed, to say the least. Between my broodies and incubator, my 6 chickens quickly turned into 40 again (and I'm STILL hatching
hide.gif
).
So, it can be done. It just takes some well thought out planning and determination. If you can't part with them, then don't. I couldn't get rid of my Silkies, I'd worked so hard to build up my flock and I put a ton of work into breeding them as close to the standard as I could. And, I'm glad I brought them with me because I've been having a terribly hard time finding good quality birds around here!

Best of luck with your move! Plan for the unexpected, because it will likely happen!
Thanks for the info! Glad to know someone else out there has made a long trip with their animals. I am determined to take them so it is good to know it was accomplished by someone, even with the mishaps you ran into. Happy to hear everyone made it in one piece and that you and your family were safe.

If you did it during mild weather you could probably put 5-6 chickens in an XL dog kennel. Food and water dishes attached to the kennel front (use plastic cups 1/2 full). We have traveled pretty darn far with turkeys this way (1-2 per kennel). It will be stressful but I doubt they'll all die. And have you seen how commercial operations ship turkeys? They stuff them into tiny wire crates that they have to lay down in. Then they stack them 4-6 high and 20-30 deep on an open flatbed semi truck. Then they blow down the interstate at 80MPH. I'm thinking if they had high losses they wouldn't do this. I don't think it's the right way to do it but I'm saying that putting them in kennels in a cargo trailer for a couple of days isn't the end of the world. When you let them out at your new home they won't even remember the long ride. They'll scratch around and do chicken things. Just my opinion. If you are dead set on doing it then go for it.
Thanks! That is what I have been thinking too, animals get shipped all the time and I plan on taking good care of them along the way. I plan on finding LOTS of crates and putting a few in each one. That way they are not too confined and crowded. I have pretty much decided to re-home a big ol SL cochin roo. He is a good boy but a bit big for his girls (he currently has his own flock). But everyone else will have to be packed up.

I would move the chickens if you are attached to them. First off I would check with each state you will be traveling through and ask if there are restrictions about transporting livestock through their check points. You may need blood tests and veterinarian certifications about their health.
Next I would buy the horse trailer and put crates/cages in it with the birds in them. I would bed them pretty deeply with shavings and invest in some horizontal nipples and make drinkers that would hang on the outside of each cage. Make some small L shaped pvc feeders for each crate and feed apple slices you have soaked in lightly salted water overnight and go.
For the ducks I would get rabbit cages with wire floors and catch pans so they would not be standing in poop for 3 days.
The alternative would be overnight shipping, but you could probably buy a nice little horse trailer for the cost of overnight shipping for 40 birds.

I haven't moved with chickens, but I have made the trip from Louisville, KY, to south central North Dakota (October, 2010). First bit of advice? Don't make the move in late fall. EARLY fall should be the latest you make that move. Typically, first snowfall hits the middle of October (this year has been the exception... we had our first LIGHT dusting late last week, but typically, middle of October, and usually several inches for that first one... it melts off quickly, and then 2-4 weeks later, winter officially begins with the next snowfall and we don't see the ground again until middle of April, at the latest). I have spent my summers here, growing up on my grandparents' farm... born and raised in the San Francisco bay area. Then, all over the country... OK, TX, KY, NC, LA, TN, and now, returned to my maternal roots... North Dakota. So, I've a pretty good idea of what you're going to encounter.

There are no agricultural inspection sites in the states for non-commercial traffic (I'm also an over-the-road commercial truck driver, though I haven't driven commercially in nearly 3 years) between North Carolina and North Dakota. So, I can guarantee that you will not encounter any hindrances in that manner. North Dakota does not require NPIP, though it is available. The only time it's any concern is if you are going to show the chickens at the county/state fairs, and you can buy the certificates for $1 at the fair for each chicken.

I'd recommend what AZChiknGoddess said about getting the horse trailer and housing accommodations/feeding. That, likely, will be the most advantageous. You may lose 1-2 birds due to stress, but I'd say that would cull the weaker birds anyways... you'd likely lose them during the first winter here, anyways. Hopefully, your husband will have their new digs ready for them by the time they arrive, so that they can quickly acclimate. You will need supplemental heat, unless the coop is well-insulated, for them, during the winter. I have two space heaters that I keep for mine, when the temps get to zero or below, with wind chill factoring, and they do well.

What part of North Dakota are you moving to? I'm about an hour from any large city (inbetween Minot and Williston, on Hwy 2) in northwest North Dakota. And by any chance, is your first name Peggy? I know of a couple whose last name is Howard, from North Carolina, too... just curious to see if you're any relation, or them! LOL!

I haven't moved with chickens, but I have made the trip from Louisville, KY, to south central North Dakota (October, 2010). First bit of advice? Don't make the move in late fall. EARLY fall should be the latest you make that move. Typically, first snowfall hits the middle of October (this year has been the exception... we had our first LIGHT dusting late last week, but typically, middle of October, and usually several inches for that first one... it melts off quickly, and then 2-4 weeks later, winter officially begins with the next snowfall and we don't see the ground again until middle of April, at the latest). I have spent my summers here, growing up on my grandparents' farm... born and raised in the San Francisco bay area. Then, all over the country... OK, TX, KY, NC, LA, TN, and now, returned to my maternal roots... North Dakota. So, I've a pretty good idea of what you're going to encounter.

There are no agricultural inspection sites in the states for non-commercial traffic (I'm also an over-the-road commercial truck driver, though I haven't driven commercially in nearly 3 years) between North Carolina and North Dakota. So, I can guarantee that you will not encounter any hindrances in that manner. North Dakota does not require NPIP, though it is available. The only time it's any concern is if you are going to show the chickens at the county/state fairs, and you can buy the certificates for $1 at the fair for each chicken.

I'd recommend what AZChiknGoddess said about getting the horse trailer and housing accommodations/feeding. That, likely, will be the most advantageous. You may lose 1-2 birds due to stress, but I'd say that would cull the weaker birds anyways... you'd likely lose them during the first winter here, anyways. Hopefully, your husband will have their new digs ready for them by the time they arrive, so that they can quickly acclimate. You will need supplemental heat, unless the coop is well-insulated, for them, during the winter. I have two space heaters that I keep for mine, when the temps get to zero or below, with wind chill factoring, and they do well.

What part of North Dakota are you moving to? I'm about an hour from any large city (inbetween Minot and Williston, on Hwy 2) in northwest North Dakota. And by any chance, is your first name Peggy? I know of a couple whose last name is Howard, from North Carolina, too... just curious to see if you're any relation, or them! LOL!
Nah, my first name is Amanda. DH's family is from Arkansas. No relations on his side here that I know of, just my family (McGee). Great to know about the travel requirements for them. Most all came from a hatchery originally but I have not completed anything at this point for NPIP. DH is currently living in Bismarck with a friend and working in Fort Yates at the college. My job, physical therapist assistant, will most likely be located in Bismarck where all the clinics and hospitals are located, So we are looking for something between the two locations. We are hoping for something with a few acres, preferably 5+. I want to have more animals and a super large garden, for both us and the critters. I have already planned on when the time comes to head up that way with everyone in the spring, after the last snow. That way everyone has time to acclimate to the new location/weather. It would be too much of a shock to their little systems to move them up there in the fall or winter, not to mention mine
wink.png
. I can handle the hurricanes and our little attempts at winter fairly well, just not too sure about those wind chills and all that snow. Makes me cold thinking about it. Oh well, a new adventure. He sure seems to like it up there.

Nah, my first name is Amanda. DH's family is from Arkansas. No relations on his side here that I know of, just my family (McGee). Great to know about the travel requirements for them. Most all came from a hatchery originally but I have not completed anything at this point for NPIP. DH is currently living in Bismarck with a friend and working in Fort Yates at the college. My job, physical therapist assistant, will most likely be located in Bismarck where all the clinics and hospitals are located, So we are looking for something between the two locations. We are hoping for something with a few acres, preferably 5+. I want to have more animals and a super large garden, for both us and the critters. I have already planned on when the time comes to head up that way with everyone in the spring, after the last snow. That way everyone has time to acclimate to the new location/weather. It would be too much of a shock to their little systems to move them up there in the fall or winter, not to mention mine
wink.png
. I can handle the hurricanes and our little attempts at winter fairly well, just not too sure about those wind chills and all that snow. Makes me cold thinking about it. Oh well, a new adventure. He sure seems to like it up there.

LOL! Well, welcome to North Dakota, Amanda, early! Good move on your part to move up here after the Spring thaw... that's what I would recommend. You and the babies will love the other seasons here... especially the summers. Not as humid as in the southern part of the country! Our fall has been mild, and longer than normal... not that I'm complaining, though. We're expecting our first serious snowfall on Monday, with an Artic Clipper... your DH may suddenly have a change of heart! If he (and eventually you) can get through the first winter here, you're officially 'NoDaks'! You'll likely be able to find plenty of acreage between Bismarck and Fort Yates. I used to live in Goodrich, which is in the center of the state, northeast of Bismarck, but now I've been in the northwestern part of the state, in the Bakken oilfields... I'm about 18 miles east of Zone3Dakota. That's where it's harder to find acreage for a reasonable amount of money... premium prices because housing is in short supply, thanks to the oil boom here. They're trying to catch up, since they had a slow start to it, due to the mindset that it wouldn't pan out to much of a boom, based on previous experiences in 1980... but they've proven themselves wrong... we have the Bakken, which is the top formation, and then the Three Rivers, which runs from the Rockies, eastward, and now, another one under that... oil will be here for a very long time. Which is good for the entire state!

LOL! Well, welcome to North Dakota, Amanda, early! Good move on your part to move up here after the Spring thaw... that's what I would recommend. You and the babies will love the other seasons here... especially the summers. Not as humid as in the southern part of the country! Our fall has been mild, and longer than normal... not that I'm complaining, though. We're expecting our first serious snowfall on Monday, with an Artic Clipper... your DH may suddenly have a change of heart! If he (and eventually you) can get through the first winter here, you're officially 'NoDaks'! You'll likely be able to find plenty of acreage between Bismarck and Fort Yates. I used to live in Goodrich, which is in the center of the state, northeast of Bismarck, but now I've been in the northwestern part of the state, in the Bakken oilfields... I'm about 18 miles east of Zone3Dakota. That's where it's harder to find acreage for a reasonable amount of money... premium prices because housing is in short supply, thanks to the oil boom here. They're trying to catch up, since they had a slow start to it, due to the mindset that it wouldn't pan out to much of a boom, based on previous experiences in 1980... but they've proven themselves wrong... we have the Bakken, which is the top formation, and then the Three Rivers, which runs from the Rockies, eastward, and now, another one under that... oil will be here for a very long time. Which is good for the entire state!
big_smile.png
I have been looking at land around the area and have found some lovely parcels at good prices. One thing I noticed is that north east of Bismarck the prices are much lower than south west or it. He sent me pics today of the snow that fell. Right now it didn't look too bad. Ironically, his school was closed because of the snow but they didn't notify him so he drove in anyway just to turn around and drive back. Even still he said the roads were manageable. I have heard that in some places prices were going up insanely high. We are seriously considering finding some land and just building a house on it. I have noticed that places sell rather quickly, especially when priced right. Around here they can sit on the market for a while even with a good price because there are so many available.

Hello, just wanted to revive this thread to see if you made the trip with your flock? I may be moving to NM from FL sometime in the next couple months and I'm trying to decide if I would bring my flock or not. I have 7 chickens, 5 ducks (with 12 more in the incubator), three peacocks, two goats, two cats, a macaw, an eclectus, and a cockatiel. I think that's all of them!

Back
Top Bottom