I'll awnser your questions!

As for you McBrown7513, if you have a docile rooster he should mount, but maybe not the aggressive hens all the time. Maybe if you have a rooster in between docile and aggressive, and make sure you play with the chicks a lot. Remember a docile hen breed with a docile rooster, the chicks won't always be docile. Especially if you don't tame them down. It doesn't really matter a whole lot as long as you tame the chicks really good. Basically, just make sure you tame the chicks.

Thank you for the advice. I will have to separate the more aggressive rooster. My flock was bought a/I having been handled by the previous owners. At least I am getting to see the birds true personalities.

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2014/04/five-ways-to-encourage-hen-to-go-broody.html is an amazing website. You can read the first part but the part where they list the 5 things is EXTREMLY good. All 5 of those thing are legit. I would try all of these. And remember that very last sentence. If one starts all of them might so I hope that's OK. It doesn't happen all the time. The more hens the less likely some hens will stop laying and egg production drops.
I have another newbie question. Is there a way to stimulate a hen to become Broody? I have read many threads about breaking brooding, but none encouraging it.
This is no newbie question. I've raised chickens for 4 years, constantly trying to learn more, and I am still trying things. This website is very good and all of them are very great ideas.

I wouldn't move her. That makes them not sit anymore. Like I said they like a private place to sit so if you can take a pic and upload it so I can see it, I could give you personalized advice.

If you take a pic of where she is and your pen and stuff like that and post is soon, I can give you personalized advice. I don't know where you live but if you live in the U.S. you will need to be in the very southern most states or it will get to cold and either the eggs will get to cold and not hatch or they will freeze if they hatch, unless you love chickens so much that you let them live in the house from day one till month 3 unless it is month 3 in the heart of winter. So post the pics asap and I will do what ever I can to help.

Back access to coop and best boxes

Front door of large coop

Small coop

I am sorry you have migrains, and you replied relatively fast. If the chicken shows she might get broody, I wouldn't bother her. I hope she geos into the small coop, that would be best. If you read the article I would do all the things that pertain to your situation, to make it look attractive. If she does go in there, fence off all exits but one. Feed and water her right out-side of the small pen. If she doesn't go in there then just let her be. Sometimes switching them to a better habitat, bothers them more than it helps because chickens are creature are scared cause of the change and ''shut down'' and won't be broody anymore. Just do the things the article said to the small coop and hope she sits in there. Can't wait to here next update!
thumbsup.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
I love these faces this is the first time I've used 'em and I love 'em.

Back
Top Bottom