ill chick or just the medicated chick feed? please help....*SAD UPDATE*

Mk_lanch

Songster
6 Years
Sep 20, 2017
hi,
this year has got to be my worst year of chicken keeping yet!
this year i have had an outbreak of coccidiosis and lost a 10 week old chick to it a week ago. im in the uk and currently all the medication to treat coccidiosis is unavailable. ive managed to order some easicox which contains Amprolium Hydrochloride 4.3%
im waiting for this to arrive and in the meantime im worming all my chickens with Flubendazole. treatment for this will finish on friday and then i will start the coccidiosis treatment.

now this is the problem i face today.
i have a broody in a completley seperate cage and she has just hatched out 3 lovely little chicks over the last 3 days. im feeding them
Marriage's Chick Crumbs and Coccidiostat in the hope that this will help them if they come into contact with anything. today the first chick to hatch seems like its gasping for breath and steadys itself with his wings. this was my most active chick and sudenly he is not very active and just sort of stand there. is this just the food or is he ill?

Last edited:
hi,
this year has got to be my worst year of chicken keeping yet!
this year i have had an outbreak of coccidiosis and lost a 10 week old chick to it a week ago. im in the uk and currently all the medication to treat coccidiosis is unavailable. ive managed to order some easicox which contains Amprolium Hydrochloride 4.3%
im waiting for this to arrive and in the meantime im worming all my chickens with Flubendazole. treatment for this will finish on friday and then i will start the coccidiosis treatment.

now this is the problem i face today.
i have a broody in a completley seperate cage and she has just hatched out 3 lovely little chicks over the last 3 days. im feeding them
Marriage's Chick Crumbs and Coccidiostat in the hope that this will help them if they come into contact with anything. today the first chick to hatch seems like its gasping for breath and steadys itself with his wings. this was my most active chick and sudenly he is not very active and just sort of stand there. is this just the food or is he ill?

also his poop was like clear water. i have cleaned his bum and im keeping a very close eye on him, i can provide a video if you need.

I have never had broody raised chicks that run around outside get cocci. I think it is likely due to natural heat and eating the microbes in the soil as they peck around. They are never given medicated food.

Have you ever had outbreaks when they were outdoors with a broody?

Maybe cook up some rice, mush it up and mix it with egg for them. The rice could help with the diarrhea. He seems awfully young and sheltered to have cocci so maybe the food doesn't agree with him.

I have never had broody raised chicks that run around outside get cocci. I think it is likely due to natural heat and eating the microbes in the soil as they peck around. They are never given medicated food.

Have you ever had outbreaks when they were outdoors with a broody?

Maybe cook up some rice, mush it up and mix it with egg for them. The rice could help with the diarrhea. He seems awfully young and sheltered to have cocci so maybe the food doesn't agree with him.

ive never given this food before but i couldnt risk them getting coccidiosis. they caught it from my run i have in my veg garden because of the pigeons! so i made sure i moved the broody to a cage in my garden so i could keep a close eye. i thought maybe it might be a little side effect to the food. as this one was born first he has been on the food for the last 3 days.

he is definitely not his normal self though. when he chirps he sounds congested.
i do have chickens sectioned of on the other side of my garden that have similar symptoms to him and they for sure are battling coccidiosis. i am currently worming them and they seem to be fighting it of on their own. but i will start the coccidiosis treatment on them as soon as it arrives. its taken ages as this is the only one i was able to find. they have no access and are not next to these chicks.

ive never given this food before but i couldnt risk them getting coccidiosis. they caught it from my run i have in my veg garden because of the pigeons! so i made sure i moved the broody to a cage in my garden so i could keep a close eye. i thought maybe it might be a little side effect to the food. as this one was born first he has been on the food for the last 3 days.

he is definitely not his normal self though. when he chirps he sounds congested.
i do have chickens sectioned of on the other side of my garden that have similar symptoms to him and they for sure are battling coccidiosis. i am currently worming them and they seem to be fighting it of on their own. but i will start the coccidiosis treatment on them as soon as it arrives. its taken ages as this is the only one i was able to find. they have no access and are not next to these chicks.

If you think the soil is infected then maybe move them into the hen house or another uncontaminated spot.

ive sectioned of that area of soil and my other hens have plenty of free roam space. those hens are not showing signs of it. my chickens at my home got infected from one of my chickens who i temporarily brought into the garden with them and didn't know he was ill. but they seem to be fighting it very well and it only really badly effected my poland rooster mushy, but he now is getting back to his old self and i will treat them asap with the coccidiosis treatment to flush anything left out.
these chicks are completely separate and are in a cage, that is kept very clean

The other chicks with him seem fine? Hmmm.
[/QUOTE
]
the 2 other chicks with the broody are fine. its just the oldest one (3 days old) thats not acting himself.

the other chickens with my rooster mushy showed signs in the poop of coccidiosis but didnt go as lethargic as mushy, he was very sleepy and was pooping really bloody poop for about 2-3 days. as mentioned i could not get the treatment from anywhere do i was putting poultry water with garlic and herbs, after that he perked up a bit. they still all have dodgy poop but are ok otherwise.

i hope this makes sense :)

Back
Top Bottom