mallardpondzzzzz

Hatching
Apr 15, 2022
We have a pond in our garden and mallards like to stop off and have a feed or take a dip in it. I’m recent weeks a single mallard male has been visiting the pond and he has feathers missing around his neck, a limp, He sits next to the pond most of the time, poops extremely frequently, and sits in his poop (he doesn’t stand up when he poops). His poops are often watery, or soft and brown. He also doesn’t seem to run away when we approach as lots of the other mallards we get here do. It seems to me as though as though my may be ill and is most certainly injured. I’m posting here to hear from people wore advanced than me. Even though he isn’t a pet, I obviously hope he is ok. A video of some of these behaviours:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 18
It's really hard to say what could be wrong. This time of year mating season is on full swing which means Drakes are fighting and he may be injured from fighting. Does he get in the pond at all? The watery poop can be normal since they drink a lot of water or he could be ill. Usually metallic green is a good sign there is an infection going on but if he isn't eating his poop can also be green just not metallic. Does he fly off at all or just stick to the side of the pond?

hi, he barely ever actually gets into the pond, just sits by the side usually. And he does fly in and out once or twice a day but he spends most of his time just sitting at the side.

Since he is wild there really isn't much you can do for him. Hopefully he is eating. He may have just gotten so beat up he needs time to heal. Many people keep Mallards as pets so he may have been a fly-off from someone's property usually the back toe is clipped or they have a hole punch in their web. Can you get close enough to check his feet out. That can maybe tell you why he isn't so scared of people.
You could call your local DNR and see if there is a wild life [waterfowl] rehabber in your area that might come and take a look at him.

Since he is wild there really isn't much you can do for him. Hopefully he is eating. He may have just gotten so beat up he needs time to heal. Many people keep Mallards as pets so he may have been a fly-off from someone's property usually the back toe is clipped or they have a hole punch in their web. Can you get close enough to check his feet out. That can maybe tell you why he isn't so scared of people.
You could call your local DNR and see if there is a wild life [waterfowl] rehabber in your area that might come and take a look at him.
I’m not aware of anyone around us having ducks, only chickens, and i can’t seem to see a clipped or punched foot, it looks as though he may have bumble foot though. He is eating fine, he probably does just need some time to heal. he’s been like this for a while but his health doesn’t seem to be diminishing at all. I’ll hope for the best hehe.

Where are you located? He looks AI-ish to me unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom