Illinois...

I've got a speckled Sussex's, welsummer, and 2 unknowns.. Just met a guy this morning down the block with 7 chickens. I love it!

Wow, a Welsummer! My daughter's 4H project involved hatching eggs this year. We tried but the Welsummer eggs didn't hatch. We did get some beautiful Cream Legbars & Lavender Orpingtons, though. Slowly they're being sold, but we may end up keeping a few.

Wow, a Welsummer!  My daughter's 4H project involved hatching eggs this year.  We tried but the Welsummer eggs didn't hatch.  We did get some beautiful Cream Legbars & Lavender Orpingtons, though.  Slowly they're being sold, but we may end up keeping a few. 

My friend ordered a bunch from Tractor Supply and gave me one, she actually was supposed to be a speckled Sussex but they look so similar I ended up with one of each ..haha happy mistake :) I think one of my little unknowns is a rooster so he has to go. Do you know what your Orpingtons are? (Puller or Roo) I would love one of those, they are so pretty! How old are they?

Last edited:
My friend ordered a bunch from Tractor Supply and gave me one, she actually was supposed to be a speckled Sussex but they look so similar I ended up with one of each ..haha happy mistake
smile.png
I think one of my little unknowns is a rooster so he has to go. Do you know what your Orpingtons are? (Puller or Roo) I would love one of those, they are so pretty! How old are they?
I already sold one pullet & am keeping the other Lavender Orpington pullet. My boy Lav Orp (named Tank by my son) will have to go once he starts crowing. I do have 2 female Easter Egger mixes that I need to sell. About 8 weeks old now. One is black (hatched from a peach tinted egg) and the other pullet is brown with black lacing. I honestly can't remember who the mom was, but the dad of both pullets is an Easter egger. PM me if you might be interested.

where are you located? when that Lav boy grows up I could give him a home I have pullets and 1 roo but like to keep a backup..might be able to trade a different girl if interested ..or even a bunny I have 13 babies right now mixed nz breed

Does anyone know how many chickens are allowed in cook county Illinois? We have received a violation stating in excess of 3 pets - how can we answer back to this matter so we can keep our chickens

Does anyone know how many chickens are allowed in cook county Illinois? We have received a violation stating in excess of 3 pets - how can we answer back to this matter so we can keep our chickens

Each town has their own regulations stating if you can or cannot have chickens, how many, are roosters allowed, etc. Call the village hall and I think the zoning and regulations department maybe. They can tell you what the law in your town is. Where do you live?

apply for a kennel license almost every county has them if your chickens are pets then it should cover you ....it allows you to keep more pets just basically pay the fee otherwise nobody could have a litter of puppies /kittens ever without getting fined

Hi All - I'm in West Central Illinois, I've got a mondo broody hen and would like to fulfill her desires to be a mommy - I feel bad for her! Of course she's the only adult who was laying eggs which we had already eaten, so I'm looking for some eggs - I don't want to ship them, so anybody in mid-Illinois have any fertile eggs - especially interested in wyandottes or polish, no bantams though. Thanks!

chris

I've got some eggs, most should be fertile. I'm just south of springfield. I'm running an austrolorp roo on barred rock, austrolorp, buff orpington, and light brown heritage leg horn hens.

I just moved not long ago from cook county. The answer is three. And just as the other person said, you can get a "kennel" license. You just apply at town hall usually. It is an annual fee and they ask what you have and why. Sometimes there will be an inspection if your numbers exceed a certain amount. They want to make sure sanitation is good and you aren't at risk for infection to others.Also, you have to let them know when a loved one passes (a critter) and how you are going to "dispose of bodies and parts of bodies". You also have to let them know when you sell or reduce numbers significantly. Well you are supposed to... lol. But chicks can be notoriously hard to keep accurate numbers on. Just saying. : ) It does depend on the town/township or if you are unincorporated. Downtown Chicago area is really strict. Outlying areas not so much. And if you got a notice, you have a nosy neighbor more than like. Talk to your neighbors, get agreement, explain what you have, don't have a rooster, get some neighborly compliance. And just call the city. Most of the details can usually be figured out that way because most of cook county allows chickens. And they may not be considered "pets" which can get you out of that ruling. Good luck dear!

Back
Top Bottom