Illinois...

I haven't heard anything yet......but it is early. I will be bringing a cockerel over to Nancy's this week and I'll ask her about it and let you know! How did your flock manage the brutal winter weather?

We had some losses from the cold (one even a duck).

I've also had one or two "house chickens" at any given time over this winter....I have one bantam that must not have any snuggly friends because we've had her in the house twice this winter....the last time for several weeks..... she was in a parrot cage, in my living room, for a few weeks. She just went back out last Wed night. She is funny now, every time we go out to feed/water she comes up to use looking for attention!

I think what did us a disservice this very very cold winter, is that we house the ducks with the chickens.... The ducks bring in too much moisture. Even though we cleaned out the coop several more times this winter, because of the ducks and moisture, I am sure that is why we lost those that we did.... Oh that and the red feeder pan that 2 of my silkies got themselves trapped under... That freaked me out...freaked me way out....

We removed that pan!!!!

Hi ChicknScratch,

We are looking for good layers, not too broody with calm-to-average temperament.  I was thinking about these breeds: Orpington, Australorp, Araucana, Speckled Sussex and/or Plymouth Rocks.   My buddy raises chickens in mid-central Illinois and raises Rhode Island Red and red sex link chickens, so he suggested those. My brother reminded me that when we had chickens as kids, my dad ordered them out of a seed catalog and we did, indeed, pick them up at the post office!! That was 40 years ago at least!!  DAG- I am getting old.

I have to suggest against aracaunas if you don't want a lot of chatter. they are VERY talkative. Otherwise orps are great and go broody frequently if you plan to hatch your own and they are great mothers.

I have to suggest against aracaunas if you don't want a lot of chatter. they are VERY talkative. Otherwise orps are great and go broody frequently if you plan to hatch your own and they are great mothers.

Thanks for the great tips!! I would love chatty chickens! How loud are we talking though- hahaha I am not planning on hatching my own- at least not initially. Hoping to get baby chicks sometime in late April. Picked out a coop that hub is going to build, along with a dog type kennel surround. We do plan on having them free range in the yard most days though.

The Aracaunas that I had were very loud as 2 females, but when I gave them to a friend and they were with a male they weren't nearly as squawky. They do not do well confined and are somewhat aggressive toward others!

I'm not sure where you are located, but Farm & Fleet, feed stores, and local breeders will be hatching & shipping plenty of chicks around that time. The F&F and feed stores will most likely not have the specialty breed that you've mentioned. If you cannot find a place to get your chicks, I would most likely be able to get you some black (english) orpingtons. If you are willing to wait until the last weekend in May, I might be able to get you some of the others (no guarantees), but I do not know anyone breeding Speckled or Plymouth rocks (I'll check around though).

The Aracaunas that I had were very loud as 2 females, but when I gave them to a friend and they were with a male they weren't nearly as squawky. They do not do well confined and are somewhat aggressive toward others!

I'm not sure where you are located, but Farm & Fleet, feed stores, and local breeders will be hatching & shipping plenty of chicks around that time. The F&F and feed stores will most likely not have the specialty breed that you've mentioned. If you cannot find a place to get your chicks, I would most likely be able to get you some black (english) orpingtons. If you are willing to wait until the last weekend in May, I might be able to get you some of the others (no guarantees), but I do not know anyone breeding Speckled or Plymouth rocks (I'll check around though).

So kind of you!!!! I would be thrilled to source my babies locally - instead of ordering through the mail. Black orpingtons look beautiful!! I am in Lake Villa - do you know where that is?? I will be checking Grayslake Feed, and probably driving over to McHenry F&F.

Anybody close to the qc area have any hatching eggs they might be willing to donate? My sons third grade class will be doing a hatching project I have dorking eggs to give to the class. It would be interesting to have a few duck or different chicks silkies etc so the kids could see the difference.

Back
Top Bottom