Illinois...

Thanks for the post. To give you an idea Peoria is about 200 miles from here. There may be local farm auctions for animals smaller than pigs, but I do not know of them. I don't really like auctions, but may have to try one if I can find it. I would rather drive to someones farm and see the rest of his chickens, than just see the egs he claims to be farm rhodies at the auction. Richland county is kind of in the middle of nowhere. I have tried cragslist for eggs, but mostly what I can find is a barnyard mix. I just ordered some eggs from e-bay. They were supposed to be expedited shipping. They came from Tennessee. Richland county is considered to be in southern IL.. The eggs are being shipped via Chicago. That seems to be a bit extreme. I am beginning to think I would rather drive a couple of hours to someones farm and have the eggs home the same day.

Do a google search for maran chicks and illinois there is a breeder way down by you that has several kinds of birds I want to say it is called chicken scratch poultry.

Thank you for the information I will keep him in mind. His location is within driving range. He does not seem to have the breeds I am looking for. He does have some orpington breeds though.

I don't mean to sound redundant, but I'm in serious need of any help possible.
We live in Riverton/Spaulding IL, in 2012 we got our first flock. At that time we saw no ordinances that stated we could not have chickens & see others in our area that also has them. Last week we had a visit from SPD stating they were here on a complaint that we had "Chickens in the house with children present." After an argument with a family member. At that time we had 2 hens that
we kept in the house. Due to previous injuries that prevented them from being with the other birds. Yet doesn't hinder their quality of life & lay eggs almost daily. We have since moved them into the garage. However, while they were here, they stated there was a 1996 Ordinance that states no chickens. We are zoned residential as are the other flock keepers (after checking the tax assessor). We also have an egg license through the Dept of AG & are inspected yearly. The original plan was for the flock to keep us in eggs & meat. That changed to eggs only, once we named them. We got more eggs than we could eat so we got the license to transport and sell extras. It doesn't pay enough to support the flock but it helps. We haven't sold eggs since July as we were giving them to family. Now they are freezing if we aren't out there in time. We also have a few small flocks of rare breeds that were intended to be used for selling fertilized hatching eggs this summer. AT this point it is still a hobby, as we aren't ready to begin it as a real business. Now we wait for a return "home inspection" & find out what ordinances we supposedly broke & the repercussions of owning poultry. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can go about keeping my birds? They said that if I registered for a business that they will contact my neighbors for approval. A few have harassed the previous owner and us as well a few times since moving here. They tried to get us on other ordinance violations that weren't legit prior to the poultry, so I'm doubtful they will cooperate. We do have several roosters that were intended for Freezer Camp or Auction this Spring, since CL ads weren't effective this past Fall. Thank you for any help anyone can offer!

As far as chickens in the house complaint...If it was just a couple I would take an agressive stance call a supervisor i doubt there is a law about chickens in the house ..1. other people have birds in their house with children, parakeets etc. 2. people have unconventional pets in the house rats,snakes,ferrets, rabbits etc. 3. if there is no ordinace against chickens then it must be about the noise ..dogs are just as noisy if not noiser and create just as much poop.( i keep my roo locked in until 8-9 am so if he crows inside nobody can complain). Go to your local board meeting point out you are being singled out I wouldn't offer names but maybe if coops are in plain site take pictures to offer up evidence...4..this is the really tricky one if your doctor sayd it is theraputic or your children to have chickens you could still fight the ordinance it is how people have cats dogs etc in lowincome apartments...5.check with the local animal control about the wording of a kennel license here it is real vaugue with just stating the number of animals you can house..if it is that way get one then the county said you could have x number of animals..
.I am fairly lucky i live in an dead town unincorperated residential but i was told by the county the only complaint could be noise and i live 1000 feet from a large grain elevator that runs very loud dryers all night all winter so they don't want to go there..

Quote: Got this today!! If anyone is within driving distance (zip is 61367) you should try and make it to this.......they always have door prizes and what could be better than free stuff and chicken talk?!

We are having a Poultry Meeting/ Workshop

Tue. April 8th 2014 at 6:00 pm

At the Ellice Dinges Center ( old school building) on West St. in Sublette

Guest Speakers:
Kindra Callahan - Purina - Nutrition
Floyd Stees - Show Quality vs Back Yard Flock-
What are the differences and what are judges looking for.

Bring a picture of / or your unique Idea / Invention for poultry that saves you time or money.

Last edited:
I know there are several Decatur area people that follow this site. My wife and I have decided to sell our place, and move. This place would be the perfect setup for someone wanting to move into the country and have some room to expand. The house sits on 10 completely fenced acres, with two big barns, and 1-2 small outbuildings (I built the chicken house last year, and may decide to take it with us if our new place does not have one). We also had a fairly large productive garden last summer! The potential for $5-6,000+ in cash rent each year for farming the 9+ acres of tillable land does exist.

Harristown/ Sangamon Valley School district. PM for more details if interested.

Back
Top Bottom