Illinois...

Well 6pm, post office closed. No little bitties today
sad.png
Don't worry the chicks can survive for 2-3 days easy.

Don't worry the chicks can survive for 2-3 days easy.

My first time ordering chicks... First hatch in February didn't have enough females to fill my order. Five weeks later in March I received a box of dead chicks after one day on the road in the mail. Another five weeks and this hatch didn't arrive in one day.....I'm beginning to really regret this. I'm freaking out that they will all be dead again. I need a tranquilizer or something!!! Thank goodness for wine!

I posted awhile back about repurposing a couple of kids playhouses into chicken coops and someone asked for pics when we were done..........well the coop is done but we are still working on the permanent run........we have a temporary that we let the girls out in only when someone is in the backyard as it isn't very predator safe. I am so glad to have them off the sun porch!
I really like this idea for upcycling, but I worry it wouldn't keep my girls warm enough over the winter. Has anyone used one through a cold winter?

I was able to get both playhouses for free.........I read a lot of other people's experience w/ the playhouses and winter...........we are going to fill the Barbie ones walls w/ blow in insulation and make a straw wall of insulation around the outside this fall/winter. All of the windows have plastic but there is still ventilation at the peaks of each roof on both sides. We are hopeful this will winter the girls just fine :)

You utilized a town house duplex. Very nice. Mine, well not as pretty as yours, is a stand alone 2 story. I elevated it with a 3 foot plywood base.
I like to repurpose things.

Almost forgot..... You have been here since January, but
welcome-byc.gif
Thanks for the welcome.........haven't said much but definitely have been reading
smile.png

@Faraday40 I had passed your info to a gentleman looking for some juvenile Orpingtons. Did he ever email you?
No. I haven't heard much. These day old chicks go for $25-35 ea when purchased straight from the breeder. (Then there's the shipping....) I thought selling them for 1/2 would make them go fast., but I guess I'll be putting an ad in Craigslist. I sold many last year that way. This time, I paid $6 per egg. Many people want $3 chicks like at the feed stores. I sell my "mutts" for $3 & even those are better quality than the poor little traumatized chicks at the feed store.

No. I haven't heard much. These day old chicks go for $25-35 ea when purchased straight from the breeder. (Then there's the shipping....) I thought selling them for 1/2 would make them go fast., but I guess I'll be putting an ad in Craigslist. I sold many last year that way. This time, I paid $6 per egg. Many people want $3 chicks like at the feed stores. I sell my "mutts" for $3 & even those are better quality than the poor little traumatized chicks at the feed store.

I will post them on my FB backyard chicken group. How much are they? $15

Back
Top Bottom