Illinois...

Free Chicks to a Good Home?

From a friend, via a Chicago area school

!8 assorted chicks hatched, cared for and studied by First Graders

Plymouth Rock Columbian
New Hampshire
White Leghorn

Normally after studies are finished, they are returned to the egg and supply provider. The teachers kinda wish to find a better more certain home for them... All together or split up.

I will likely have more info, hatch date, in the next day or so. The hatch is finished and so are the studies.

Leave me a note if you are interested... Thanks!

Thank you all for looking.
They have all been homed to a farmer who stops in at Belmont Feed and Seed on Fridays.

@Faraday40 Missing you! Have you been able to find homes for the Lav Orps. Sorry my guy never responded to the post. How did your sexlink hatch go? I still have the babies - the 3. They are all getting big. I think I will be taking the boys to the feed store next weekend.I am thinking about keeping your Lav orp that I think is a boy, maybe he will be as quiet as his father was. Worth a shot!

Hi Chicago Clucker-
I think you had 2 lavs from me, right? (One from my backyard flock & one from the breeders eggs.) Do they both look like boys?

The orps & bielefelders are getting big (4 wks old on Sun). We sold a few & DD now has 10-12 to grow out. Someone (a referral) was interested in a couple but was looking for chicks to add right into his coop. At the time we spoke it was still too cold for them to be outside w/o heat. (Sure not the case Thurs & Fri!) Another wanted a Biele trio but then never showed. Such is Craigslist.

Last Fri we hatched 14 chicks. We were down to 4 (2 lavs & 2 black) by Monday. Because we had the fertile eggs (& an empty incubator calling to me) I put more in which will hatch in 2 weeks. I know, I know, - I'm addicted. But, they're the last from my roo. We've been eating the eggs & are not seeing the bull's eyes anymore. (Took 2.5 weeks w/o a roo for them to be infertile.)

Sexlinks- Hard to tell. Almost all the CCL+Orp mixes had a tiny speck of white on their heads (only about 1mm). Only one chick had a larger circle -about the diameter of a pencil. I'm sure that one was a male, but I couldn't say what the others were.

It's been a week of ups & downs. My kids were in a big dance performance & did a great job. Chicks have been hatching & selling. School & church activities abound. I've been keeping busy, but every night something reminds me of Mom. I burst into tears. On Sunday, Dad got theater tickets for them to have a date. I will go in her place. We're all just struggling to get through these days. Overall, there are many things to be thankful for. My great family & supportive friends are just a few.

@Faraday40
hugs.gif

Hi Chicago Clucker-
I think you had 2 lavs from me, right? (One from my backyard flock & one from the breeders eggs.) Do they both look like boys?

The orps & bielefelders are getting big (4 wks old on Sun). We sold a few & DD now has 10-12 to grow out. Someone (a referral) was interested in a couple but was looking for chicks to add right into his coop. At the time we spoke it was still too cold for them to be outside w/o heat. (Sure not the case Thurs & Fri!) Another wanted a Biele trio but then never showed. Such is Craigslist.

Last Fri we hatched 14 chicks. We were down to 4 (2 lavs & 2 black) by Monday. Because we had the fertile eggs (& an empty incubator calling to me) I put more in which will hatch in 2 weeks. I know, I know, - I'm addicted. But, they're the last from my roo. We've been eating the eggs & are not seeing the bull's eyes anymore. (Took 2.5 weeks w/o a roo for them to be infertile.)

Sexlinks- Hard to tell. Almost all the CCL+Orp mixes had a tiny speck of white on their heads (only about 1mm). Only one chick had a larger circle -about the diameter of a pencil. I'm sure that one was a male, but I couldn't say what the others were.

It's been a week of ups & downs. My kids were in a big dance performance & did a great job. Chicks have been hatching & selling. School & church activities abound. I've been keeping busy, but every night something reminds me of Mom. I burst into tears. On Sunday, Dad got theater tickets for them to have a date. I will go in her place. We're all just struggling to get through these days. Overall, there are many things to be thankful for. My great family & supportive friends are just a few.

I am going to take pics and maybe you could tell me. But I have both, 1 from your breeder(?) and your backyard Lav Orp (I think he is a boy). He stands so tall with that long neck. But, I remember my Buff Orp took the longest to develop wattles and comb out of my first 4, so maybe you could take a look. He definitely has a good comb coming in.

And keep an eye out when your cracking eggs. My girls started showing bullseyes ( for about 1-2 weeks) and the roo had been gone for 5 weeks. I was surprised!

I am glad your staying busy and chicks will definitely help. I will take some pics of your babies and post this weekend. Miss talking to you and I am sending hugs!

Hi Chicago Clucker-

I know it's tough to hold up, especially since mother's day is around the corner. However, things will become better slowly but there are some things that can never be replaced. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts that my mother passed away 18 years ago when she was 58, but even now whenever I watch a movie about missing one's mother, it makes me shed a lot of tears.

I saw a movie called AI (Artificial Intelligence) a month and a half ago. Although it seems like a Sci-Fi, once you get past all the crazy stuff, is really a passionate story about a mother and her adopted son (in this case a human looking robot with feelings). If someone wants to shed some tears, watch the movie till the very end without forwarding.

Wish you all the best!

Hi Chicago Clucker-
I think you had 2 lavs from me, right? (One from my backyard flock & one from the breeders eggs.)  Do they both look like boys?

The orps & bielefelders are getting big (4 wks old on Sun).  We sold a few & DD now has 10-12 to grow out.  Someone (a referral) was interested in a couple but was looking for chicks to add right into his coop.  At the time we spoke it was still too cold for them to be outside w/o heat. (Sure not the case Thurs & Fri!)  Another wanted a Biele trio but then never showed.  Such is Craigslist.

Last Fri we hatched 14 chicks.  We were down to 4 (2 lavs & 2 black) by Monday.   Because we had the fertile eggs (& an empty incubator calling to me) I put more in which will hatch in 2 weeks.  I know, I know, - I'm addicted.  But, they're the last from my roo.  We've been eating the eggs & are not seeing the bull's eyes anymore.  (Took 2.5 weeks w/o a roo for them to be infertile.)

Sexlinks- Hard to tell.  Almost all the CCL+Orp mixes had a tiny speck of white on their heads (only about 1mm).  Only one chick had a larger circle -about the diameter of a pencil.  I'm sure that one was a male, but I couldn't say what the others were.  

It's been a week of ups & downs.  My kids were in a big dance performance & did a great job.  Chicks have been hatching & selling.  School & church activities abound.  I've been keeping busy, but every night something reminds me of Mom.  I burst into tears.  On Sunday, Dad got theater tickets for them to have a date.  I will go in her place.  We're all just struggling to get through these days.  Overall, there are many things to be thankful for.  My great family & supportive friends are

Last edited:
Hi Chicago Clucker-

Sorry for the double post. I cannot use my phone when I am trying to post. So here are some pics of your guys! Let me know if you agree that your Lav Orp is a roo and what do you think about the English Lav Orp, pullet? Also your easter egger cross, I have no experience with them, so take a guess on him/her too please. Just want to make sure before I rehome them.

Roo, I think so!

Pullet, I hope!

Another of English Lav Orp

Easter egger pullet?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom