Illinois...

Have you tried it already? If not you got a be careful. They say the broody should have been broody for 10-15 days before you can give them chicks, otherwise they can kill them. A friend's broody actually killed a chick it hatched itself and was attacking another one that it hatched. We had given her eggs from the incubator but she only got to sit on them for 9 days before they started hatching. We had to rescue it and give it to a different broody who had already hatched chicks and she happily took it and another chick that hatched 2 days later.
I haven't done it yet. And in fact both broods quit today. So I am glad I didn't slip any chick's under them. Especially since u said that. Good info to know. Thank you

Update.

First broody is back on some new eggs. She left the nest because the small bowl of water I left by her, tipped over. Found her sitting on 2 new eggs that were laid in the afternoon. So can I still count this as day 5 of her brooding?

Sold a couple of marans and a Lav Am today. Thank goodness, I thought I was going to be in big trouble.

@Junibutt I had messaged Mountain Valley Poultry and they said the chick looks like it might be a splashed laced silver, so its a wait n see. She is doing great with all the Orp chicks and bantam cochins.

Last edited:
@Faraday40
How are you? Just wanted to let you know, English is beginning to crow. My olive egger began a week ago and this morning, after each olive egger crow, there was a beginners attempt. I stood back to watch to see who it was, and it is English. So it is now confirmed. Tank Jr. isn't crowing yet. He is a gentle giant and loves being petted and talked too. I know he is a boy, but he has the prettiest face. I don't know if I can get rid of him. I think I am in love with a Rooster, LOL, he is so beautiful. And the easter egger mix I am still thinking girl, tail feathers are round no hackles coming in, but the legs are as thick as the Orp boys, probably won't be sure until I hear a crow or see a green egg. Pea comb birds are tough to call. I have a lot to learn. Still can't really tell with my Lav Ams.

So what is going on over at your house?

Here are our Orpingtons we hatched May 13th

Can I ask if your splash were white as chicks? I have 2 very light blues and 2 darker blues and 4 blacks. Wondering if the light blues might end up splash because they have some primary feathers coming in white.
And weren't you looking for some Orpingtons? Thats why I thought we could swap. I was looking for a splash. What color are you looking for? I also have some Lav Ams that are a month old, 2 Lavender Orp cockerels, 1 English and 1 American that are around 2 months old and a Olive egger cockerel (maran x cream legbar) 2 months old.

Last edited:
@Faraday40
How are you? Just wanted to let you know, English is beginning to crow. My olive egger began a week ago and this morning, after each olive egger crow, there was a beginners attempt. I stood back to watch to see who it was, and it is English. So it is now confirmed. Tank Jr. isn't crowing yet. He is a gentle giant and loves being petted and talked too. I know he is a boy, but he has the prettiest face. I don't know if I can get rid of him. I think I am in love with a Rooster, LOL, he is so beautiful. And the easter egger mix I am still thinking girl, tail feathers are round no hackles coming in, but the legs are as thick as the Orp boys, probably won't be sure until I hear a crow or see a green egg. Pea comb birds are tough to call. I have a lot to learn. Still can't really tell with my Lav Ams.

So what is going on over at your house?
I have a few large hens with thick legs, so that may not be a good indicator. If a 3-row pea comb is present, then there's a high risk of male.

Male EEs = 3 row pea comb; red (or white) patches on wings &/or chest
There's also the rooster stance (more upright & alert posture)

EE pullets have an even feather pattern & thin pea comb (almost like a part with no height)

Because their daddy was a single comb (not pea comb) & weighed over 12 lbs, I'm guessing they'll be a mixing of traits.
Here's an example of one of last year's mix. She's got a blending of the hen's tall single comb & large wattles with the roo's pea comb & lack of wattles.

My daughter is falling in love with a Black English Orp roo, so go ahead & rehome the beautiful lav. They really are gentle giants, so keeping one of them wouldn't be all bad. Also, our roo, Tank, was not a frequent crower & made no noise until over 21 weeks old. He usually woke the girls around sunrise (only 2-3 crows inside the coop which we could not hear from inside our house). Then he crowed a few more times when I let the dogs out. (He knew I'd be following shortly to open the coop & hand out treats.) If Tank ever crowed outside of those times, it was because of a predator or something he viewed as a predator - like a road construction crew with their bright orange vests & loud machinery or when a neighbor got some large trees removed. Of course at those times, his crows were drowned out. He was the strong, silent type & very gentle on the hens.

We are doing OK. Way too many funerals, though. Since my mom's death, we had 5 more deaths of friends & family members. 6 funerals in 2 months! My dad & sister are still in poor health but managing the best they can without my mom. My sister bought a puppy to help with the loneliness. I can understand the need for companionship & unconditional love, but her choice of a little rat-like dog surprised me. It's very young, expensive, & needs A LOT of training. I would have picked a 6mo old dog, already neutered w/ all the shots, & ready for obedience training. Also a breed that wouldn't get accidently stepped on. LOL Oh well, everyone has their own preferences.

Tonight was another candling event: Day 14. DD really enjoys getting to "peek" at the developing embryos & recording their growth. (The egg pictured is her favorite egg - a silver laced sebright - which is developing well.) DD is also very good at predicting which ones will hatch & noticing any abnormalities like air cell detachment or porous shells. Last year, we did the hatching projects together. This year, she's doing most it herself with almost no help. DS is also growing more responsible via his sister's projects. He has taken one of the chicks as HIS. The little chick even follows him when it's not being held. I believe we'll need to name it soon or he'll keep calling it "Chickie." Thankfully, it's showing no roo-like signs at 4.5 weeks, so he may get to keep it.

I have a few large hens with thick legs, so that may not be a good indicator. If a 3-row pea comb is present, then there's a high risk of male.

Male EEs = 3 row pea comb; red (or white) patches on wings &/or chest
There's also the rooster stance (more upright & alert posture)

EE pullets have an even feather pattern & thin pea comb (almost like a part with no height)

Because their daddy was a single comb (not pea comb) & weighed over 12 lbs, I'm guessing they'll be a mixing of traits.
Here's an example of one of last year's mix. She's got a blending of the hen's tall single comb & large wattles with the roo's pea comb & lack of wattles.

My daughter is falling in love with a Black English Orp roo, so go ahead & rehome the beautiful lav. They really are gentle giants, so keeping one of them wouldn't be all bad. Also, our roo, Tank, was not a frequent crower & made no noise until over 21 weeks old. He usually woke the girls around sunrise (only 2-3 crows inside the coop which we could not hear from inside our house). Then he crowed a few more times when I let the dogs out. (He knew I'd be following shortly to open the coop & hand out treats.) If Tank ever crowed outside of those times, it was because of a predator or something he viewed as a predator - like a road construction crew with their bright orange vests & loud machinery or when a neighbor got some large trees removed. Of course at those times, his crows were drowned out. He was the strong, silent type & very gentle on the hens.

We are doing OK. Way too many funerals, though. Since my mom's death, we had 5 more deaths of friends & family members. 6 funerals in 2 months! My dad & sister are still in poor health but managing the best they can without my mom. My sister bought a puppy to help with the loneliness. I can understand the need for companionship & unconditional love, but her choice of a little rat-like dog surprised me. It's very young, expensive, & needs A LOT of training. I would have picked a 6mo old dog, already neutered w/ all the shots, & ready for obedience training. Also a breed that wouldn't get accidently stepped on. LOL Oh well, everyone has their own preferences.

Rat-like dog LOL. I know once your use to a large dog, those little ones are kind of a joke. Its even funnier to watch a grown man walking one of those on a leash. Makes me chuckle every time. Sorry if I offend any of you guys with little dogs, you can still walk them.

Ok, I don't know what I am going to do. I am also planning on keeping one of my blue orp cockerels so I can work on my project bird which I think is a pullet and my little Chocolate Orp looks like it might be a cockerel, so I would like to keep him also to breed with a blue for a mauve. I was also trying to decide if I want to try and keep a cockerel from my Marans or my Lav Ams, but now that I think the chocolate is a boy that is no longer an option. I had ordered a no crow collar when I ordered the nipple waterers and put it away, now I can't find it, LOL Looks like I need to order a couple more.

I am so sorry, you have had a lot to deal with in such a short time. Hopefully, God will give you all a break.

Tonight was another candling event: Day 14. DD really enjoys getting to "peek" at the developing embryos & recording their growth. (The egg pictured is her favorite egg - a silver laced sebright - which is developing well.) DD is also very good at predicting which ones will hatch & noticing any abnormalities like air cell detachment or porous shells. Last year, we did the hatching projects together. This year, she's doing most it herself with almost no help. DS is also growing more responsible via his sister's projects. He has taken one of the chicks as HIS. The little chick even follows him when it's not being held. I believe we'll need to name it soon or he'll keep calling it "Chickie." Thankfully, it's showing no roo-like signs at 4.5 weeks, so he may get to keep it.
If that silver seabrite hatches and it is a hen.... The caveman would be very interested it giving it a home for the next 13 years... That is how long my last one lived.

YOUR PICTURE IS RALLY COOL.. And when I seen it the following pix came to my mind. It is from my time period, but you may have seen it before..

Last edited:
If that silver seabrite hatches and it is a hen.... The caveman would be very interested it giving it a home for the next 13 years... That is how long my last one lived.

YOUR PICTURE IS RALLY COOL.. And when I seen it the following pix came to my mind. It is from my time period, but you may have seen it before..
WOW 13 YEARS!

All I needed was fertile eggs. I asked for some Marans & whatever assorted eggs they could spare to fill up a dozen. I like the look of anything laced, so I hope the Sebrights are a nice breed. I think my daughter's going to like the Silkie, but who knows. I got a few more eggs from another person - Blue laced Barnevelders & an OE. It's going to be an interesting hatch & trying to keep them sorted by breed will be fun.

Chicago Clucker...

In the middle of spring I had one broody. And then I had two. I was seriously missing the extra two eggs.

On the Thursday after Memorial day (after 3 weeks of broody #2 sitting on golf balls) I slipped two chicks under each or the broodys. Four weeks later... The chicks are fully integrated into the flock, up on the roost with their moms at night (a team parenting effort) and foraging in the yard and following moms arround all day long.

I never secluded the babies or moms from the rest of the flock... It seemed to me that somehow hens with tons of space in a yard all day would somehow know what to do. The moms have always been at the top of the pecking order and even keep the year old rooster in line. He roosts between the family and the rest of the flock making sure they have plenty of space.

I often find it difficult to "follow the recipe" and now I am questioning some of the standard practices re raising chickens. They all seem to know what to do...

Looks like the moms are already getting ready to lay again, their combs are a more vibrant red every day and they are letting the rooster mount up. Looking forward to the kids growing up and receiving a dozen eggs on those special "everyone lays an egg" days!

Back
Top Bottom