Illinois...

They're so cute!!! I love ours they're darling! Okay so you kept 6 which gives us 9 for some reason I thought there had been more that DH2B pulled out. Okay that makes me feel better. Lol I must admit I think I'm in love with the quail lol they are just darling!!! Such content little things.
Don't blame your DH2B. We were going to keep 2 & give you 13. But what if both were male? So, I put 10 into your box. That way I'd likely get 2, maybe 3, females. It was my DD that noticed the "little one" was no longer in our brooder. She put it back where "it belonged." I told her how well you did nursing that injured orp back to health, but she said the little one was her 2nd fav. (So now if it lives, I get to look forward to it being a male! LOL ) DS joined in & said he wanted the little one as well. The car was running, I didn't want to be late, so I just allowed it to stay. If we have more than 1 male, the plan is to process the extras. If we end up with too many females, you may find that Santa drops off a few more quail in your coop. (Just kidding. I'd tell you first.)

The quail are fun. I've been making DS read to them. The kids like holding them & the chicks are comfortable being in the house. That's probably why they're calm. I'm sure DD will start training some of them soon, but they'll need names (& genders) first.

DD already trained the chicks you have to come when called. We would let them run around on the floor & she would lay on her stomach to play with them. As soon as she opened her arms & clucked, they would run into her arms by her shoulders & neck. She would also walk around through the lower level making her clucking noises. Whatever chick(s) she had out would follow her like a little parade.

She did very well this time with no tears. (But I must admit, that this particular batch of chicks was harder for me to let go.)

@Faraday40
I think your little one will make it with all the tender care given. What I am wondering is;....... will it be same size as other chicken as adult, or a runt???
idunno.gif

I'm sure the kids are hoping it will stay a runt.

Look what I just noticed this morning. See the male's rust-brown coloring popping through?

Notice the blue spot? (DD marked her fav with blue food coloring on the chest) Yes, DD has done it again. Whichever her fav, it's ALWAYS a male. I guess it works with other birds besides chickens. What a gift!
I hope the quail "crow" is not as loud as a rooster.

Yes I noticed/suspected it with one of ours too. Wish they were all that easy to sex. I've been reading about trying to tell the gender or the a&ms.

Btw thank you again for the treats the pretzels were incredible. The soup was good although a bit unusual and the zucchini bread has all been claimed by dh2b lol. So thank you again. :)

I hope the little one makes it for you.

You should really read my message from the other day lol more later time for bedtime chores.

With our arctic temperatures coming this week. Is it safe to place eggs under a broody hen? We're showing teens and a high of 5 one day coming up.

Or should I have a friend who is running an incubator cabinet try and incubate them for me?

8 silkie eggs and 6 serama eggs.

I've heard of hens successfully hatching during winter in our climate, but I've never tried. If you really want to use the broody, you could give her 2 eggs. Then, incubate the rest inside. (Especially if she's new at it.) When/if her eggs hatch, you can slip the incubator chicks under her. Hens easily adopt chicks at that time. Just make sure she can cover all the chicks. If there are too many, she won't be able to keep them all warm.

Is it safe to place eggs under a broody hen?
It is definitely not an ideal time, but I have done it successfully. Hatch rates tend to be a bit lower. I have also had a broody adopt chicks that were hatched in an incubator, but I agree with others, don't give her too many. If a chick gets separated from her mother for any amount of time longer than what it takes to get a quick bite to eat and a drink, it is death for the chick. Make sure the broody is separated and comfortable with plenty of bedding.

Temperatures reached as low as -20 one time and mama kept her chicks safe.

I have done and both and know it works, but just be prepared to possibly not have as many eggs hatch and possibly lose a chick or two. Otherwise I have gotten some nice birds.

Thanks for the input. Should have set this up a month ago when it was warmer. Oh well.

My friend will incubate them and will likely just raise them in the house will old enough to move in with the big girls. Serama's and Silkies so I know the Serama's are much more susceptible to colder temps than even the silkies.

Incubation will give you best results. Keep in mind that shipped eggs have lower hatch rates than eggs from your own, or those you drove and picked up. Another thing to keep in mind about seramas, They are tiny like quail when hatched. They probably can store less than 1 BTU of body heat. In no time in the open air, they chill to freezer heaven.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom