Illinois...

First hatch out of the rooster and black pullets. We got the pullets from chicken scratch poultry last July. I am in the process finding out.

Just another thought, Perhaps the black pullets were split to Lavender. Breeders will breed Lavenders back to blacks, that will give blacks chicks split to Lavender and Lavender chicks. That could be what is throwing off your hatch.

DD is doing a 2nd trial for her sci fair / 4H poultry sci experiment. She's comparing hatch rates of backyard, farmer's market & store eggs. We really had a tough time finding fertile store eggs. This time to represent the store chicken eggs, we purchased some silkie eggs off eBay & washed them before setting. Poor eggs were shipped & partially frozen. They were driven around town in a bumpy mail truck & then sat outside by my house on a 17- 25'F day. I was planning on tossing them on Sat when we candled. Well, I checked last night & saw development in 3 of the 4 eggs I candled!!!! These are probably the toughest eggs on the planet! How could anything develop after all that! I hope our backyard eggs can compete.

I'm still waiting on my Oopsie.......

She was mauve at hatch & feathered in whitish. Of course with beauty & personality like hers, who could not fall in love?
@chickendreams24 has her sweet twin sister. Some of Oopsie's eggs are in the incubator as we speak. We'll have to see what hatches out.

If you are feeling down and need a laugh to cheer you up read this thread.
gig.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1153310/our-first-eggs-new-questions/10#post_18079164

Quote:
How long ago did you give your lavender rooster away? Sometimes hens can store sperms for several months. Also, the mystery of lavender chicks is solved, but there is still that mystery of black chicks. You cannot get black chicks from a splash rooster x black pullets. That must be remnants from your lavender rooster.

Back
Top Bottom