Illinois...

Well I learned a little more about chicken/rooster behaviors today.

For the past week, our blk/lav split (father, named Mr Dummy) & our lav (his son, named Moose) have been fighting. Mr Dummy had always been flock leader for over 2.5 years but Moose wanted to take over. Strange how they were fine for 8+ months previously. Needless to say Dummy did not want to give up his prominent role, so the poor guy kept getting his butt kicked by Moose. We truly love and want to keep both. After the 1st big fight, we had to bring Dummy inside for observation & TLC. His comb was bloodied & he looked awful. Moose also had some scrapes but looked OK. During the day we put the old Dummy inside a chicken tractor to prevent fighting. The two roos would flare hackles at each other through the wire. Yesterday (after the initial wounds had healed) I finally let them figure it out. At one point, I saw Moose land on top of Dummy like a football tackle, & Dummy stayed still. Mr Dummy seemed a little in shock & made what DS called "hen noises." I had never heard him make such a noise & was very concerned. We brought him inside for the night & returned him to the chicken tractor this morning. As soon as we let the chickens out, Moose, (the victor) ran up to the chicken tractor with hackles flared. Mr Dummy did not flare his hackles & started making the strange hen noises again. From what I can tell, it's his way of admitting defeat. When I opened up the tractor, Moose chased, & Dummy ran away. I am sorry to see Dummy lose his position. He was a gentle, fair peacekeeper. Young Moose is still a big bag of hormones, so when given the choice, the hens prefer to follow Dummy or Brick. Although I can't say that I'm happy about the change in command, I can say that I'm glad they have finally stopped trying to kill each other. My hope is that in time, they will go back to working together as a team.

So now that we have a new commander, will the other 2 have to fight? Brick is so mellow (& small) that I don't think he'd pose a threat. He sulked for a day when he lost the #2 spot, but he still has his 2 loyal hens, the 2 bantams, and sometimes a few other hens. Of course while the other 2 boys were fighting, several hens squatted for Brick. (He's a lover - not a fighter) Our backyard has become quite the soap opera - with a big helping of the history/ war channel. We cancelled cable last summer & I can't say I've missed it! LOL

Incubator Update:
Candled last night:
Out of 8 shipped, frozen, & washed silkie eggs (Closest to store fertile eggs) - 2 are clear & 6 are showing development! This group is supposed to have the lowest hatch rate. These eggs were shipped from Texas. They arrived on a day with temps 17-25'F & spent from 8am-4pm in a bouncy mail truck. They must grow some tough birds down in Texas!

Out of the 8 farmer's market eggs, (washed & refrigerated) 4 have development, 1 clear, & 2 ?

Out of the 8 backyard eggs, 6 have development, 0 clear, & 2 ?
* 2 of Oopsie's eggs were ?. Only one has development.

Too early to candle the quail eggs. (We have 6 in each group.)

I'm still waiting on my Oopsie....... She was mauve at hatch & feathered in whitish. Of course with beauty & personality like hers, who could not fall in love? @chickendreams24 has her sweet twin sister. Some of Oopsie's eggs are in the incubator as we speak. We'll have to see what hatches out.
Quote:
Can't wait to see her offspring
Oopsies's sister (still haven't found the right name for her yet) is finally confirmed laying DH2B caught her in the nest box last week and promptly brought me the beautiful egg in. Our cream legbar pullet continues to check out the nest boxes but has not layed to our knowledge. I'm fairly certain everyone else is laying. We are planning to set up some breeding groups this weekend and will give the girls some time to clear out and confirm everyone in the groups is laying before collecting and setting eggs probably for the Easter hatchalong. We have another set of 8 quail eggs that I think I may put in in another couple days as I don't want to waste them. That or maybe I'll stick them under a broody with one or two chicken eggs. Idk I didn't really want to stagger already this year but the coolerbator isn't out yet. We may have to get it out for the Easter hatchalong depending on who's laying. I'm hoping to set cream legbars(if both girls are laying a size big enough) and one group of Orpingtons and one group of our project breed, maybe some silkies. We may also purchase some eggs as well. And I'm an idiot lol okay not an idiot trying to be smart about money. I caught DH2B in the process of ordering me three cream legbar pullets from gff for Valentine's day last week but talked him out of it because I'm hoping we can find some good legbar hatching eggs for less or the same money. Of course now I feel awful about it but I just can't see spending that much on three chicks when we're not financially stable yet. The other thing I was thinking(I believe gff sends extras but idk) anyway the other thing I was thinking was that if I only got three that's not much to choose from for breeding if they get here and they're not good quality... So guys am I an idiot? Does anyone have any experience with gff? If so how was it? Did they send extras? Of the same or other breeds?
Well I learned a little more about chicken/rooster behaviors today. For the past week, our blk/lav split (father, named Mr Dummy) & our lav (his son, named Moose) have been fighting. Mr Dummy had always been flock leader for over 2.5 years but Moose wanted to take over. Strange how they were fine for 8+ months previously. Needless to say Dummy did not want to give up his prominent role, so the poor guy kept getting his butt kicked by Moose. We truly love and want to keep both. After the 1st big fight, we had to bring Dummy inside for observation & TLC. His comb was bloodied & he looked awful. Moose also had some scrapes but looked OK. During the day we put the old Dummy inside a chicken tractor to prevent fighting. The two roos would flare hackles at each other through the wire. Yesterday (after the initial wounds had healed) I finally let them figure it out. At one point, I saw Moose land on top of Dummy like a football tackle, & Dummy stayed still. Mr Dummy seemed a little in shock & made what DS called "hen noises." I had never heard him make such a noise & was very concerned. We brought him inside for the night & returned him to the chicken tractor this morning. As soon as we let the chickens out, Moose, (the victor) ran up to the chicken tractor with hackles flared. Mr Dummy did not flare his hackles & started making the strange hen noises again. From what I can tell, it's his way of admitting defeat. When I opened up the tractor, Moose chased, & Dummy ran away. I am sorry to see Dummy lose his position. He was a gentle, fair peacekeeper. Young Moose is still a big bag of hormones, so when given the choice, the hens prefer to follow Dummy or Brick. Although I can't say that I'm happy about the change in command, I can say that I'm glad they have finally stopped trying to kill each other. My hope is that in time, they will go back to working together as a team. So now that we have a new commander, will the other 2 have to fight? Brick is so mellow (& small) that I don't think he'd pose a threat. He sulked for a day when he lost the #2 spot, but he still has his 2 loyal hens, the 2 bantams, and sometimes a few other hens. Of course while the other 2 boys were fighting, several hens squatted for Brick. (He's a lover - not a fighter) Our backyard has become quite the soap opera - with a big helping of the history/ war channel. We cancelled cable last summer & I can't say I've missed it! LOL
Oh goodness I'm sorry Faraday40. It's hard when things like that happen.

Newbie here! Just swinging by the say hello to my fellow Illini. I'm from Evergreen Park and am working towards changing the ordinance to allow chickens. If you know anyone in the area let me know because I would love to work with others on this project.

Newbie here! Just swinging by the say hello to my fellow Illini. I'm from Evergreen Park and am working towards changing the ordinance to allow chickens. If you know anyone in the area let me know because I would love to work with others on this project.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC and I am next door to you in Mt. Greenwood! My daughter also lives in Evergreen Park.

@Faraday40 sorry to hear about Mr.Dummy Pants loosing his spot as top dog, so to speak. It happens. I have had 2 of my bantam cochin boys, who aren't even top dog, go at it for almost 2 days. I separated that first day, slipped the 1 I pulled during the day back into the coop at nite. Let them out the next morning and everything seemed fine. Within the hour they were back at it. And one of the other roos stepped in for me and broke them up. It took him a couple of times, cause they kept going at it, but they finally stopped.

Good luck on your daughters project, your silkie eggs sound indestructible!
jumpy.gif

@Junibutt I came up to the Urban Expo around 11:15 and did a quick walk thru, where were you? I took a walk thru the barns and stables and called it a day. Hope it was a nice day for you.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, I was doing a chicken keeping presentation in one of the classrooms. I had to fill in for Jennifer Murtoff (Home to Roost). BTW did you see the beautiful black Cochin with the chicken rental lady? I had to really really stop myself from buying her. Meanwhile I spoke to the organizer and she can give us a table for next year at no or minimal cost as long as it is educational as well. We can feel free to sell our chicken at that table.

Quote: Oh, I forgot you were doing 1 of the lectures! I thought I saw your son, but wasn't sure.

I did see the Cochin, and went up and talked to that beautiful girl. I am glad I didn't know she was for sale. LOL

Well I would definitely do the table next year with you. Just let me know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom