I'm at war with racoons.

get one of these and a gun
upload_2018-3-29_20-36-38.png

It is a duke dog proof coon trap

You can give your injured girls a baby aspirin for pain.

Keep them warm, keep the wounds clean. You can apply Bacitracin antibiotic ointment to the wounds. Shock after an attack isn't unusual. You can give them nutri-drench or rooster booster vitamins and pro-biotics for that. You can also up their protein intake with tuna which will help them heal.

As for the raccoons. I live trap them using, now don't laugh, Large marshmallows with a container of water sitting next to them. Raccoons cannot resist marshmallows especially when they have a container of water to wash them in. Some people have luck with a can of cat food that you have punctured holes in with a can opener. The raccoon will fool with the can and trigger the trap.

Once caught, please do not under any circumstances catch and release. Sorry, I feel pretty adamant about that. Releasing just turns them into somebody else's problem. I simply dispatch them with a well placed .22 or .223 bullet then dump them in our back timber for the vultures to dine on.

You will have to dispatch the entire family. It won't be easy. Just keep a mental picture of what they have done to your hens and it will get easier.

Raccoons are nasty. Hope your girls heal up. Chickens are pretty resilient and will surprise you. If you have problems or questions, feel free to post pictures and we will do our best to pitch in and help.

order some cci 22 subsonic ammo or cci 22 quiet. I have killed 3 behind my house in the last week. I put some corn out and sneak out about 10pm and pop them. I also catch them in the no kill traps. A honey bun is the best bait for possums and raccoons I have been wanting to get the foot trips mentioned above...

Damn, that's the problem. They don't want to kill them so they drop them off for someone else to have a problem.
I do want to kill them for sure. More than anything at this point. I feel so bad for the girls. If it wasn't for this sight I would have probably euthenized the girls but I think they might have a chance. I'm going to try my hardest. They deserve it just for surviving in the first place. Its horrible. They do appear to be appreciative and going along with my efforts.

I do want to kill them for sure. More than anything at this point. I feel so bad for the girls. If it wasn't for this sight I would have probably euthenized the girls but I think they might have a chance. I'm going to try my hardest. They deserve it just for surviving in the first place. Its horrible. They do appear to be appreciative and going along with my efforts.
Where are the wounds? How badly were they injured?

Well one is very serious, it's goes from the back of her neck all the way between her wings. I can see her neck bones. I can suture it back but with it being a bite Im thinking to wait a few days to see if she survives, plus I want her to drain, which I could put a drain in if it comes down to it. I just don't want to create any additional shock for now. The other one also has a deep bite near her wing but doesn't go as far up her neck and a bite above her tail. She I believe might make it for sure.
Where are the wounds? How badly were they injured?

Back
Top Bottom