I'm getting a gosling!

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
Well I just ordered a tolouse pullet from ideal poultry along with 4 japanese bantams. I'm planning making her a house pet. I'm so excited. Does anyone have any advice for me? The starter diaper pack from The goose's mother and father seems like a good deal but I have to wait and see if I can order it. I have a few questions.

She won't be allowed to go in my backyard because I don't want her to bother my neighbors(at least until I talk to them). But I plan on teaching her to walk on a leash and we're going to go to parks and what not for fresh air.

Assuming she was hatched around other goslings will she still imprint strong on me since she'll be the only goose in the house?

I have is I have a big dirt, gravel, and cement floor basement. If I was to clean it up and remove everything harmful I was thinking she could have diaper free time down there with a big tub of water. That way she'll get some time off from the diaper.

Also when she comes in the mail, what temperature do I have to keep her kennel at? I have a reptile heat pad and a heat lamp, which is better?

I'm hoping and praying that she turns out to be a great pet and my mom lets me keep her.

Also how quick is ideal poultry usually with delivery? I'm kinda hoping they send warming chicks so my poor baby doesn't freeze.

I promise to post pictures as soon as they come. Thanks so much BYC!

I also might be getting my adult diapers from luvmychix. They look great. Anyone have any idea how I should go about getting sizes? I'm confused because they grow so fast I'll need several but what sizes do I get? Is there a place I can go to see the growth rate in tolouse as they grow?

Last edited:
1 goose == very lonely loud goose

a goose restricted to the house 24/7 except when you have time to goto the park is not a proper life for a goose.

not trying to be mean, just honest

ideal has a bad track record this year with shipping and half or more of what is shipped dead when it arrives or passing shortly after arrival.

I've heard from a lot of people that an imprinted goose can live a healthy normal life. Believe me he's not going to be cooped up all day. I have an 8 room house, like I said a huge basement, a decent sized backyard, and I live close to woods that I could walk him in everyday to forge and run around. I know it's a major commitment but I truly do love waterfowl and I really want something I can bond with. I'm experienced with animals I know that the need sunlight and stimulation. I have a friend down the road that's an animal lover and she has a pool that she rarely uses that I can let her swim in. I've done a fair amount of research. I know they need at least 3 baths a week as adults and I'm not going to have her diapered 24/7 either. I'm going to give her time in the basement, my spare room, and my coop/shed with it off so she can be comfortable. I was told by the "Goose's mother", a lady that specializes in geese and animal imprinting that I should get a single female. I also have parrots. They require dedication too. They are also loud and extremely messy.

If you're home with your parents and your mom doesn't know its coming, it might be a good idea to see if you can switch your order for another chicken instead of the goose. Its just whats best for the bird. I mean I would love an emu but I don't have the property to accomodate one. Down the road I'm sure you'll be able to keep a goose if thats what you truly want, the circumstances just aren't right.

My mom is aware that it's coming. She wants me to keep her until she gets bigger and give her to my friend on a farm. But if she turns out to be a good pet than I could probably keep her. I'm all bummed out now. Everyone is telling me not to get her. I spend an hour on the phone talking to experts on house geese and ducks and they assured me its not a negative thing for the goose. Look it up on youtube. Those geese watch tv and sleep on the bed.

Last edited:
You don't need a lone goose for them to imprint either. I have 20 and they all follow me like puppies. Letting them "be geese" is one of the most rewarding things I have been blessed to see. They are not big chickens- they have a really complex social structure and need company 24/7.

Well what do you suggest I do with her when she arrives then, smarty? It's not abuse if this many people are doing it and the geese are healthy and alert. They bond with your whole family and friends and they become their social network. They imprint and believe they are people. Thus they want to be around people.

Last edited:
I cancelled the order. She'll probably end up as some childs play thing or someones dinner now. I came here for advice and you went against me.

Back
Top Bottom