I'm getting REALLY frustrated

suburbchick

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
My chicks still won't go in the coop at night. I left them in coop for 4 days before I let them leave into run. It's now a week later and I still have to go out and put them in. It's so annoying. I have never had a batch of chicks that didn't figure it out in a few days. I tried moving food inside. I tried light inside coop. Nothing works. It is REALLY getting frustrating.

Mine took a few weeks before they'd all go in. We turn the light on about an hour before we want them in and when it gets dark they go in. We were getting frustrated too and then they figured it out.

I have never done the light before and I was reluctant to try it. I am afraid it ill be a cue as they mature and they will only go in if the lights are on. That's just not a feasible long term option for us....I wonder if that fear can be confirmed? Thanks for your reply

I'm not in the best of moods right now just having to get down on my hands and knees and crawl through my eglu run getting chicken poop on my hands and knees on the wet, cold grass. Grrrr.
barnie.gif

I guess I never thought about that...my husband is happy he doesn't have to crawl on the ground anymore to catch them as we built the coop off the ground so they would have more running space....next coop will be built wiser. For now the light works for us. When they are in we shut the light off.

My chicks still won't go in the coop at night. I left them in coop for 4 days before I let them leave into run. It's now a week later and I still have to go out and put them in. It's so annoying. I have never had a batch of chicks that didn't figure it out in a few days. I tried moving food inside. I tried light inside coop. Nothing works. It is REALLY getting frustrating.
Join the crowd. It took almost a year for my group of last year's Light Sussex to figure it. We tried all that stuff too. Finally they started following the old hen inside. Maybe it had something to do with the young cockerel coming of sexual maturity? I don't know. Just keep trying and eventually they will get it.
Best,
Karen
As for the light, it worked real well for 2 season's ago chicks. They got it right away. I went to Lowes and bought a 17.98 Portofino solar light. Screwed it onto the side of the coop so the light shown inside thru the window. Enough light after dark to draw the birds in and I didn't have to be there to turn lights on and off. Lasted 2 years, even in the winter.

Last edited:
In the morning when you are letting them out, scatter a little scratch underfoot while calling them. "Chick-chick-chick" in a high voice, or something. Then in the evening, try the same call and treats to come in. Is your coop big enough for the birds? If they don't find it comfortable, that's a problem. They want to roost high up, and at dusk, which is pretty late at this time of year. Mary

In the morning when you are letting them out, scatter a little scratch underfoot while calling them. "Chick-chick-chick" in a high voice, or something. Then in the evening, try the same call and treats to come in. Is your coop big enough for the birds? If they don't find it comfortable, that's a problem. They want to roost high up, and at dusk, which is pretty late at this time of year. Mary

X 2 - you mention an Eglu, which model do you have? I've not seen any of the Eglus that look like they would be appealing from a bird's perspective.

Back
Top Bottom