I'm new here

tantanrn

Hatching
Mar 4, 2016
Hi. Just found this site. I'm in Mississippi. Started a backyard chicken coop last summer. We have 6 laying hens and a rooster. I want to hatch some eggs but don't know where to start. I do have fertilized eggs. Or at least I'm told that when we crack them and they have a spot of blood they are fertilized. But I don't have a hen that is brooding. Any suggestions on where to start? I have two children who are very interested in being part of the process.

Welcome to BYC!
You've been steered a little askew regarding fertility checking eggs - blood/tissue in the egg is not an indicator of being fertile at all as they can occur in both fertile and infertile eggs. What you want to look at to tell if an egg is fertile is the little white spot on the yolk (the germinal disc) -- on an infertile egg the dot will be just a dot, on a fertile egg it will have a "bullseye" appearance with concentric ringing. There are lots of examples here on BYC, but this is a great new thread with photos
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1085475/egg-fertility-pictures

Well thank you for clearing that up. So if they are fertilized what is your suggestion?

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us! I guess if you don't have a broody hen, then your other option is to use an incubator. You can buy them or make your own - there's lots of info if you type "incubators" in the search box.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

You've already been given some good advice on how to identify fertile eggs and about an incubator so I'll just say hello, it's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom