I'm not a chicken idiot...

Not only did I pad edges of wood in the coop, I have an ip cam, wireless cam w/ monitor, put the chickens in our crawlspace under the house when its too cold, too hot, or hurricane. Hen with babies are put in our bathroom during inclement weather. My silkies jump up on a hay bale to get up onto shelves to roost. Every single evening I "make their beds" by cleaning and fluffing the bedding on the shelves. Oh the humanity! :D

I wanted a cam... So I could access It from anywhere, and see what's going on.

That way I could see who all my cowers are. I have one for sure that crowed right in front of me to show off... "Look what I can do-O-O-o-O"

Well if you're weird missbecky, then scoot on over! ;-)
It's raining right now, I just went outside to round up 8/9 chickens that are now in the kitchen fast asleep (still dark out) the only ones up at this hour are me and the Greys, number 9 (Charlie) has his own run that is covered so he won't get wet, I have brought him in the house as well, he stays in the bathtub :-D
One morning I almost gave my husband a heart attack, I had totally forgotten about Charlie, hubby was barely awake at 4 am, went to the bathroom, turned the lights on, stopped dead in his tracks for a moment, my guess is to check his heart ;-) did his thing, came back to bed, at this point I'm dying, I rolled over and said "honey, I forgot to tell you that Charlie is in the bathtub" LOL
(Charlie is a jersey giant)

Last edited:
Lol... well I've been trying to talk my husband into a "house chicken" it's not working out so well. He said "That's why we built them house. Which I am worried about...

They like to roost in front of the single pane windows. Because they are nosy, and want to see everything. I think it would be cold, but that's the corner they like (South East corner) There nesting boxes are in the Eastern corner. There is no insulation in the coop... just the 2x4's, and the siding. The coop is set in front of a 6 foot wood fence on the back side, and a wood fence on the right side. My husband said that they will be fine with the cold because "They are chickens". I'd like to use the heat lamp, but am afraid of accidents, or the power going off and them not being acclimated if it does. Also... do I really need to use light in the winter to get eggs... since they are born to lay only a certain amount of eggs, will not giving them a lot of light in the winter preserve their eggs so they will lay longer in life? (If that makes sense). The average winter temp is 26 degrees rarely under 11 degrees. How cold is too cold? I don't want them to freeze. Any suggestions? You think they'll be okay? or no.

They should be okay, here in our part of NM we get down to around 12 degrees sometimes. The only year we had to put in heat lamps was because we had a freak cold spell, and went to 6 below zero, which NEVER happens here. So there we were, late at night, freezing our butts off to get it all set up for them before the real cold hit. everyone survived, only one of our roo's had a little frost bite on his crest because he refused to stay in the warm area we made for them, he jumped up to the perches to crow and didn't jump down. He's fine though, but he was a very sick boy a week ago, he recovered fully, thank God. He's getting old now. Anyway, you're not alone, I have a big bin full of baby chicks right here next to me as I type, lol, I'm keeping them in until they're a little older. I take them out during the day in a large wood crate with a chain link gate on top to keep the stupid hawks away from them. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a house chicken !! I have a favorite hen named Ginger I'd love to bring in. My hubby is like your's, he says no go.
hmm.png
We have a couple of dogs in the house, so I doubt they'd allow it either. So you now know you're not alone, from what I'm reading, you're not the only one, you have lots of company !! US !! LOL !

That's good to hear. I found a thread on this site that addressed cold weather, and it seems as though they'd be okay.

I got my babies July 1st. So we're thinking they'll start laying this month. We have all picked a day, and put $5.00 each in the pot. if one of us guesses right we get all the winnings. I picked November 8th -so we'll see.

We have two dogs too. One is a field lab, and she helped me raise the chickens so she is great with them. One day she snuck into the coop, and I accidentally locked her in with the chicks. Later on I was looking outside and saw our little dog acting stupid outside the run from my window... So I go outside to see what he's up too, and there was our Daisy (the lab) standing with the chickens looking up at me inside the run!

Now the little dog is some kind of Mini-pin mix (looks like a miniature German Shepard). We rescued him in Sept. He likes to play with our Wyanadotte (they are the same size). She plays back, and chases him around, but I still don't trust him alone with them... he's a pest -typical little brother.

I also just found out that all 3 of my white Silkies are roosters! I am devastated, because I can't have roosters where I live, and they are the most beautiful, sweetest little things ever. They all know who they are, and come to their names. I wanted a Silkie so bad, so I ordered 15 of them, and split the order with two other people, hoping that out of the three I'd get a hen :(

I'm hoping that maybe they will fertilize one of my hens, and I can at least get some babies from them, before I find them a nice home.

Tell him a pet chicken is less destructive than an Amazon parrot.

I second that!! And I raise you 1 blue and gold macaw ;)
Missbecky, Here's Lucy's interior design work, apparently she thought the couch needed her special touch
Edit to add that I need new curtains because she put her touch on them lol

I'm not sure who posted but I remember reading somewhere here that it's in the "rule book" having at least one house chicken ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom