I'm setting eggs tonight 2/2/12, any hatching buddies out there wanna join me?

Ok so here are my stats. 6 turkeys and 22 chicks hatched out just fine between one and two days early... which is interesting because my temps were consistently around 99.5 with the occasional 100.0. There are 6 eggs with no pips left in the bator and today is day 21. I don't expect 2 of the eggs to hatch but threw them into lockdown anyway... so we'll see. Of the 4 eggs left, there is one banty chicken and 3 turkey eggs. One of the turkey eggs was added two days late at start of incubation. On a sad note there was one chick who pipped but didn't make it. Other then that I am so happy about how this hatch went for me. Congrats to everyone who has chicks out there. They are so cute.
love.gif

Pictures!!

Congratulations on the great hatch. My incubator was spot on too and my chicks started hatching day 20 rather than 21. My husband says it's because they don't read the book lol, they just make up their own time.

Are turkeys hard to hatch and brood? I want to try them but worried I will be getting in over my head.

they are cute, hope the girl with the spraddle legs gets better for you.

I am hoping she will. I want to try either pipe cleaners or the zip tie leg bands to do it. I tried the bandaids but with them being feather legged I feel so bad doing it that way. I am pretty sure she will do well. She is running around even with her splay legs and full of spunk. She does have a bit of a pot belly and my husband thinks that might be helping to push her legs out.

I think I can say that hatching is probably done. 20 hatched one with splay legs but the rest all look wonderful. I will be splinting the little girl today. A few had curled toes on hatching but the more they used them the better their toes got and they straightened out themselves without any help just with use. Trying to feather sex them just for fun. Out of the first 14 that are in the brooder I have either 9 pullets and 5 cockerels or the other way around. With my luck it will be 9 cockerels lol. Time will tell and then I will know for next time :). The cool thing is that the girls already all have homes just waiting to see who is who and then they will be ready to go. Going to wait to check the other 6 since they are still in the incubator.

The other 7 eggs aren't showing any signs of hatching 2 of these I had marked as questionable. I also don't hear anything from the incubator anymore (When the chicks are quiet and let me hear) so I am thinking I am done. Officially day 21 doesn't end until 1pm but would they hatch that far apart?Congratulations on everyone's amazing hatches!! Here are some pictures of the new babies.

14 in the brooder right now.

Little white chick not sure why she is so white. She will get her leg splints today for spraddle legs but other than that she is healthy and happy.

Goopy little black chick with a yellow face.

The other little black chick. The rest are all yellow.
I'm such a lurker...aww, these are soo cute too!

I thought it might be for blueberry. Those are some wonderful chicks. Hoping to take some pictures of mine to post tomorrow once they have settled down. They are totally jazzed up tonight. I am going to need some pipe cleaners for the one spraddle legged chick that I have and there is one other that has its toes tucked under who will need shoes but my they are totally cute. The hatching still continues I have chirping coming from the incubator and 6 more pips. Hopefully they hatch on their own.
I use electrical tape on my chicks legs when there is a problem. I goes on easy, comes off easy when you want it to. Just sharing. :)

They hatched from my stock. I have a breeder coop of pure Wheaten / Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas and the big coop for my layer flock that is a mixture of pet quality Ameraucanas, Blue/Black Wyandottes, Silkies, and Frizzle Bantam Cochins.

Wish more than 1 of my breeder eggs would have hatched. No more signs of any more hatching from the eggs and today is day 24 for them.
The black silkie chick that was shrink wrapped real bad is not doing well. I can barely get a drop of Polyvisol in em and he won't eat or drink at all. Just getting weaker and keeps chirping loudly.
Do you ship eggs my way? I'm in Utah, so sorta neighbors. I would love to have some wheaten ameraucanas! Do they lay the blue blue egg? I have a blue Ameraucana, she is pure, but her egg isn't as blue as I thought I would get.

My question was for blueberry..they are all darling, I just love puffy cheeks..Ameraucanas, and EE's. :)
Hi Cynthia12, I got them from BYC member
Cowgirl75446. Great chicks, nice & healthy looking, excellent packaging & shipping of eggs too. She is in TX.

Now the hard part, picking out 2 to keep & selling the other 9.....
hit.gif

Mine started hatching on day 21 & didn't end until day 23! I still have eggs (3) in the bator but I think today will be their final day if they don't hatch. I won't candle them because the ameraucana eggs are very hard to see thru.
I am glad that 11 of the 15 hatched, only 1 pipped & didn't make it.
Now to figure out who to keep & who's going on Craigslist or BYC.

Hi Cynthia12, I got them from BYC member
Cowgirl75446. Great chicks, nice & healthy looking, excellent packaging & shipping of eggs too. She is in TX.

Now the hard part, picking out 2 to keep & selling the other 9.....
hit.gif
Cowgirl?? I think I may have ordered from her before...or maybe there are two cowgirls, but with different numbers. :) I know the feeling of separation from beautiful chicks. Yep.

I'm a late starter but I placed a dozen mixed eggs under my brooding hen on 2/16/12. She's sitting beautifully but I thouhgt it was too cold here in South Central Pa to pull this off. She's a two year old smaller, feather footed, black with blue shinners, mutt that hatched and raised two nests last year. She's a great mom. Wish me luck doing this so early.

"Are turkeys hard to hatch and brood? I want to try them but worried I will be getting in over my head."

Lily, this is my first time hatching turkey eggs and I feel like they were as easy to hatch as chickens... they just incubate a week longer. I have been raising baby turkeys for the past two years and they are as easy to raise as chicks, just need turkey feed because it is higher in protein and helps them with their development. Too bad you aren't closer, I have about 20 turkey eggs that need to be incubated. I had really hoped that my turkey hens would take care of them (as they did last year), but they want to sit on the eggs in the blackberry patch and it isn't safe there due to racoons. Now that I have them locked in a coop all they do is complain about not being outside... and they ignore the eggs. GRRR!!!! In a couple of days I'm going to clean out the incubator and put the eggs in the bator if those girls haven't gotten their act together.

Blueberry, before you toss any remaining eggs open them up from the air cell to see what's going on in there. You might have some late bloomers... someone mentioned eggs that hatched on day 26. On my last hatch there were four eggs that didn't hatch and I buried them with the eggs that tried and failed to hatch. Now I wonder if there was a live chick in there. I candled them, but it was impossible to see anything because the chicks were so big. Good luck!

I'm a late starter but I placed a dozen mixed eggs under my brooding hen on 2/16/12. She's sitting beautifully but I thouhgt it was too cold here in South Central Pa to pull this off. She's a two year old smaller, feather footed, black with blue shinners, mutt that hatched and raised two nests last year. She's a great mom. Wish me luck doing this so early.

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your broody momma! I hope it's not too cold too for her & her babies. Weather sure has been wacky this winter!!

Back
Top Bottom