I'm so confused

hannahh1

Hatching
Jul 23, 2015
Hello I am a new member and i was just wondering if golden comet hens are good at laying on eggs. I have two and we just started letting them lay on about 5 eggs for about 3 days now and I was just wondering if we should throw them away or let them lay on them but I don't want them to go bad in the coop and I really want some baby chicks.

Golden comet hens are bred to be layers - it's rare that a production type would go broody and sit on eggs. Breeds with strong broody instincts include Silkies, Cochins, Buff Orpingtons etc. You cannot make a hen go broody. Are your hens sitting on the eggs as their choice, or do you keep them on the nest with eggs in it?

Can you help me? What breed is this?? It doesn't have feathered feed and it is a regular sized chick!

Golden comet hens are bred to be layers - it's rare that a production type would go broody and sit on eggs.  Breeds with strong broody instincts include  Silkies, Cochins, Buff Orpingtons etc.     You cannot make a hen go broody.    Are your hens sitting on the eggs as their choice,  or do you keep them on the nest with eggs in it?
They are sitting on them whenever they want they usually only lay on them at night. Should I keep them on the nest?

Hannah, I am afraid you are in for a disappointment.

Those eggs will most likely never hatch.

Do you have a rooster?

Chickens sitting in a nest box is a bad habit, when they do this at night. You want them on a roost not in the box.

As the wise and all knowing seer "diva drumstick" said they most likely will not go broody. Unless they go broody they are just sitting for their comfort and not to hatch eggs. I suggest you eat the eggs and but a dozen golf balls or fake eggs in the nest until a hen goes broody then give her some fertile eggs.

Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom